Handlebars & One Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Following on from my previous thread, I've just ordered a new frame which comes with a nice set of drop bars, and when riding drops I find myself on the hoods for most of the time.

However, if I decide to go for a coaster brake set up, what might be my options if I only have one (front) hand activated brake on the bike? Obviously it'll be difficult riding on the hoods if I only have one hood!

I'd imagine a dummy brake would be a bit odd, or leverless hood would look a bit weird, but are there any other options out there?

Thinking about sticking with bullhorns would be an easy option, and I do find braking more comfortable on such bars rather than over hoods, but I would like the flexibility of drops.

longers

Legendary Member
I tried one brake for a while and left the disconnected lever on the bars. A bit of insulation tape round the top of the lever stopped it from flapping and rattling.

jimboalee

Ride it like a track bike with only a front brake.

I did for years and I got used to riding on the upper bends. Even now, my hand position is on the upper bends rather than on the hoods.

Go out on a club run and you will see the guys who ride or have ridden track bikes. They don't ride on the hoods, they ride on the upper bends.

Go out on a sponsored bike ride ( or a Sportive for 'wet behind the ears' youngsters ) and you will see the guys who have never ridden a track bike. They ride on the hoods.

Show the world you are multidisciplined...;)

jimboalee

Seeings your newly acquired frame has Horizontal dropouts, we will forgive you for putting ribbon on the whole length of the dropped handlebars.
If it had been a rear facing dropout, ala track frame, only put ribbon on the lower half of the handlebars.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
The coaster equipped bike I borrowed had track bars and no tape. I found myself riding on what I guess you mean by upper bends most of the time, kind of like the same position as hoods, often felt quite comfy and in control with my hands flat over the top and fingers split two either side seemed quite comfortable. Is this sort of thing acceptable?

jimboalee

The coaster equipped bike I borrowed had track bars and no tape. I found myself riding on what I guess you mean by upper bends most of the time, kind of like the same position as hoods, often felt quite comfy and in control with my hands flat over the top and fingers split two either side seemed quite comfortable. Is this sort of thing acceptable?

No. Only thumb over the top.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
So my frame is now back from the powdercoaters and I'll be ordering wheel parts, hub gear and some bits this weekend, and I'm still thinking about the handlebars - still cant decide what to go for.

What would people think to mounting a mini brake lever a little something like this?
HAMdj.png

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Hmm ... another thought - anyone know of any chrome (or silver) aero bullhorns - i.e. slightly dropped bullhorns rather than regular upturned type? All the ones I can find are black.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
try a search for 'finger fixie lever', and for 'stoker brake lever' - lots of possibilites ...

Top Bottom