Handlebars ripped from my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SeanNW6

Hello all

I locked up my bike outside my flats last night, and the handlebars have been ripped from the bike.
V annoying.....I usually store my bike in my small flat, but because I was entertaining people I wanted to have as much space as possible.

Not sure who did it. My flats are opposite some expensive houses, and am thinking maybe it was pissed off house owner, who didn't like my storing my bike outside his house.
Is a quiet street and the bike was locked up behind a car, hidden from passing traffic. I cant imagine a bike thief would target such a quiet street.

My bike is included in my general contents house insurance, but am thinking I should just swallow the cost.

Hopefully it wont be too expensive.

A harsh lesson......

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hello all

I locked up my bike outside my flats last night, and the handlebars have been ripped from the bike.
V annoying.....I usually store my bike in my small flat, but because I was entertaining people I wanted to have as much space as possible.

Not sure who did it. My flats are opposite some expensive houses, and am thinking maybe it was ****ed off house owner, who didn't like my storing my bike outside his house.
Is a quiet street and the bike was locked up behind a car, hidden from passing traffic. I cant imagine a bike thief would target such a quiet street.

My bike is included in my general contents house insurance, but am thinking I should just swallow the cost.

A harsh lesson......
I'd report the damage to the Police (most insurance companies require a report number). There may be CCTV around that will show the damage being done.

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Thanks for the reply. Yes, will report the incident to the police and get a crime number.
Hoping the damage is just limited to the handlebars.
The bike has internal gear hubs, so is pretty durable.
No CCTV sadly, the street is solely residential and no investment in CCTV.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Thanks for the reply. Yes, will report the incident to the police and get a crime number.
Hoping the damage is just limited to the handlebars.
The bike has internal gear hubs, so is pretty durable.
No CCTV sadly, the street is solely residential and no investment in CCTV.
Glad the bike seems okay - I know I'd be really upset if this happened to my bike!

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Well, am philosophical about it.......was silly of me to leave it locked up outside overnight.
Worse things could have happened.....worst aspect of the incident was having to take the tube on such a gorgeous morning......??!!??!!

Same here, my bike is in the lounge when I'm not riding it, in fact if I take it for a service and get home when I notice the bikes not there I briefly think

DONT PANIC, THE BIKES GONE, CALL INTERPOL, ITS GONE!!!

Oh.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello all

Not sure who did it.

The Incredible Hulk?

Crankarm

Guru
Seriously were your handle bars ripped from your bike or are using some sort of melodramatic street slang? If they were methodically removed with care, then it is more likely to be another cyclist as it would require some amount of knowledge, skill, time and tools. What bike do you have and the type of handle bars?

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Same here, my bike is in the lounge when I'm not riding it, in fact if I take it for a service and get home when I notice the bikes not there I briefly think

DONT PANIC, THE BIKES GONE, CALL INTERPOL, ITS GONE!!!

Oh.
Yup, same here, my bike is indoors behind the sofa (much to the wife's annoyance) where I can gently caress it while watching the telly :wub:

sackville d

Veteran
Sorry to hear about this. Random acts of vandalism are really annoying.
I have a small flat and my bikes live indoors all the time, entertaining or not. My guests just have to squeeze past the bikes. Actually I prefer my bikes to most of the people I know.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
You seem to have your priorities sorted out there Saluki.The bike`s the star.

Hello all

Not sure who did it. My flats are opposite some expensive houses, and am thinking maybe it was ****ed off house owner, who didn't like my storing my bike outside his house.

A harsh lesson......

WTF?!

I know car parking can cause riots but bike parking, really? I'd be tempted to lock up a £10 special (check gumtree for a wrong un) and chain that up outside his house permanently.

Top Bottom