Handmaids tale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
"Is it a women thing?"

What is this thread? A timewarp thing?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Note... I've not read any posts other than the OP because I've only watched series one and don't want any spoilers.

I think it's a mindboggling view of a dystopic society and i find it utterly compelling yet ultimately grim with the odd glimmer of hope.

I also think if it had been written by a bloke, it would have long since been dismissed as pulp.

Maybe stick to 'On the Buses' then.

There's a blast from the past. Tbf there are similarities between attitudes to women in Gilead and OTB.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If you've only watched the current series I don't blame you. The whole series is a bit like a TDF stage in reverse, with all the interesting stuff taking place at the beginning and turning into a procession at the end.

The book was excellent.

But to my shame* I haven't watched any of the series - no telly - or Netflix sub etc - In truth I would probs find watching women being mistreated in this way too disturbing - there's enough of it going on in real life - as the author says, this is all stuff that has happened - or is still happening to women.

Look at the States and their current moves to enforce the continuation of an unwanted pregnancy on women.. Shocking.
And that's in a supposedly 'civilised' country - (hollow laugh) - far worse goes on elsewhere - children imprisoned as sex slaves brothels in Bangladesh, and so on, its so depressing.

If only the "Male empathy, what's that?" quip didn't have such a resounding ring of truth...
We did have someone on here recently who genuinely seemed not to get why female only swimming pool sessions might be a necessary thing.

Ms Atwood is writing a sequel, I believe, so will probs wait and read that.

* the director is a relative so I should make more effort I spose.

AndyRM

XOXO
The book was excellent.

But to my shame* I haven't watched any of the series - no telly - or Netflix sub etc - In truth I would probs find watching women being mistreated in this way too disturbing - there's enough of it going on in real life - as the author says, this is all stuff that has happened - or is still happening to women.

Look at the States and their current moves to enforce the continuation of an unwanted pregnancy on women.. Shocking.
And that's in a supposedly 'civilised' country - (hollow laugh) - far worse goes on elsewhere - children imprisoned as sex slaves brothels in Bangladesh, and so on, its so depressing.

If only the "Male empathy, what's that?" quip didn't have such a resounding ring of truth...
We did have someone on here recently who genuinely seemed not to get why female only swimming pool sessions might be a necessary thing.

Ms Atwood is writing a sequel, I believe, so will probs wait and read that.

* the director is a relative so I should make more effort I spose.

I have only seen the first series and can confirm that it is very, very difficult to watch.

Top Bottom