Hands up, who’s lost work because of Covid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
My son's girlfriend has had her restaurant/bar job hours cut by 50%.So have all the other staff,but as yet nobody has had the bullet.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Not directly related to Covid 19 but...

My wife used to work for BT until a few months ago. After over 20 years in various parts of the business, and the last 15 years working from home BT decided to keep the job but move it into an office 90 minutes away. Not wishing to add 3-4 hours onto her working day she has now left the company.

What's that everyone is now saying about working from home?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SIL lost her swimming instructor job. Whilst she was in the conference call with Swim England, she emailed MIL's nursing home to see if they had any vacancies. Reply quickly, come in for an interview. She's landed a laundry job for 22 hours a week. This will keep her going, and at least one of the family will get to see MIL - not so sure MIL will make it past this - she will be dead if she catches this.

Other SIL/BIL have a small electrical shop in the village - god knows how they will manage.

Nephew is grounds staff at Lancs Cricket Club - no job

Other Nephew chef at Wreckfish at Liverpool - they are trying to stay open (part of Gary Usher's group of restaurants)

Residential construction has ground to a halt here. I have had a good run this last year and have a little money saved so I'm lucky compared to many. I can see a lot of people losing their homes in the coming months.
The police are racking up the overtime though, even though the city is like a ghost town plod is everywhere

AlanW

Guru
We deal with sign and event management for major (and minor) events up and down the UK and so far we have lost a fortune in revenue. Glastonbury being the largest event to cancel so far, but other majors events are expected to follow suit quite quickly now.

silva

Über Member
Just saying - it's not the virus that removed people from their jobs and it's not the virus that closes businesses.
It's the governments. Yesterday I lost mine, so much work to do, every dag a struggle to get the required job done, and now it's all laying there, with me nothing at hand and no income.
And when governments decide to cease their bans, all the work to do will have accumulated and it will still have to be finished in order to meet the schedules that if not met cause huge costs, stressing the job even more.
Such cycles are typical government, toggles between nothing and all.

Milzy

Guru
We're 40% down. Young fit lads willing to graft are now doing a skilled job for less than minimum wage. All because of Kung flu.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Large retailers and maybe some of the smaller ones are desperate for staff. We're advertising for immediate help, with interviews the following day and starts available the following week. Anyone who finds themselves suddenly out of work and have no safety net, go to your local Asda, Aldi, Lidl, Sainsbury's, Morrisons,Co-op, etc.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And Nursing Homes need help !

Dave7

Legendary Member
Brewers Fayre are closing EVERY pub/restaurant from tonight. The job losses must be massive.
My Bro has just cancelled his May holiday in Dorset...... I can see virtually every hotel and boarding house going under.
Being retired I have (so far) avoided the financial effects. Apart from being a fit 73 but told not to go out but that is just an inconvenience.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Heard on the radio this morning that farmers are looking for workers since foreign workers can't get here. I wonder how over-subscribed they will be.

postman

Legendary Member
i had to go back to the dentist this morning,pain back after Saturdays filling.One chap was asked can you come June named a day.He replied anytime i work in the car industry and nobody is coming in to buy at the moment.I might be out of a job in two weeks.then a sadder tale.Women had come back for the second part of her treatment,emergency part was the first.She was asked for £62+.She did not have it,she thought she was exempt.She managed to pay £40 and promised the rest at a later date.Shorter working weeks or no jobs,it's terrible.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I do Supply Teaching in local schools to top up my pension but it is finished now, possibly until September. I feel sorry for Supply teachers who rely 100% on this income, they will have to find something else I guess, until then, but what, everything is closing down.

My wife and I have been retired for a couple of years, so we are not directly affected by work closures.
We also play (just for fun - no money involved) in a ukulele band and of course all that has shut down, which I miss greatly.
But many friends are self employed or employed by small local businesses, and all are deeply worried, whether they admit it or not.
I believe there is a Treasury announcement due today. I hope it brings good news for the worried workless......

Top Bottom