Happy belated centenary to the RAF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Formed out of a merger of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service on 1st April 1918 by Hugh Trenchard. I used to know this because I was an ATC cadet.

It seemed like an odd time to do it. The First World War was still in progress. Many of the RFC's actions were closely integrated with the army. They strafed and bombed the German battle lines. They shot down enemy spotter aircraft. They did their own reconnaissance. They often interacted with British anti-aircraft artillery fire, who used to warn them when enemy fliers were about. I'm reading a book about it all now (Winged Victory - very good). Aircraft were a new weapon, but so were tanks and submarines and they did not start new defence services for those.

The RNAS must have been quite small compared to the RFC and it could not have made much sense for an aircraft carrier and the aircraft that flew off it to be in different services. Twenty years later the Royal Navy set up its Fleet Air Arm, so effectively reviving the RNAS.

I reckon some people thought, 'We have the navy that moves over water and an army that moves over land. Now we have machines that move through the air, so let's create a new armed service.'

A separate defence force makes more sense in the Second World War where they acted independently of the army and navy much of the time.

classic33

Leg End Member

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg
This is Uncle Arthur !
well , my GF's Great Uncle , in the photo he was at Cadet Officer , and then went onto Pilot Officer in the RFC , and was merged into the RAF at the beginning of the Force , his history is a bit vague , we are not to sure if he stayed in and went into serve with them in WW2 , she remembers him well but as a young girl the tales he told did not register , She has got her Family on the case , I'll go into Richmond Archives when I get time and find out more if I can

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Seeing as this is an RAF thread, this raised a smile:

6d25481e-a1d5-445a-ae87-b585f6b37aff-jpeg.jpg

Sgt Coombs has been taking quite the ribbing.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have been reading a bit about the formation of the RAF. One part of the reasoning was the friction and competition for procurements between the army and the navy for aircraft. A bigger incentive was that Britain was coming under attack from Germany, first from Zeppelins and later by Gotha bombers. They did not actually do a great deal of damage or cause much death (by WW1 standards) but they put the wind up. In one German attack, a primary school was hit and a lot of children died. There was some pressure to set up a force that could defend the mainland from attack, while capable of carrying out strategic bombing on enemy targets (factories, lines of communication, civilian centres). This all made sense in WW2, but I am surprised in made sense in WW1. When the RAF was formed in 1918, the RFC and just been involved in trying to push back the last German major advance. Their operations were completely integrated with army operations. They were involved in ground attack and reconnaissance of German army movements. These days I suppose the army would use helicopters for that sort of thing, at least ground attack. Maybe they'd use drones or satellites for reconnaissance. The Royal Navy Air Service was about half the size of the RFC, but that seems way more aircraft than could take off from aircraft carriers of the time. I think a lot of them must have operated from airfields near the coast. To have aircraft taking off from ships and they not being under Royal Navy command makes less sense than ground attack or battle reconnaissance not being under army control.

Incidentally, I think there is a bit a confusion on these new F35 aircraft for the Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales carriers. Are they part of the RAF or the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm? I suspect the Royal Navy is depending on RAF expertise since Cameron (surely the worst ever prime minister with regards to the armed services) sold off our sea harriers.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
F35 is jointly operated by the RAF and RN.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I recently read a book called Blenheim Summer by a Blenheim pilot circa 1940. Apparently, before Churchill made his Few speech, soldiers didn't think the Brylcreem boys were pulling their weight. The author said only three of the airmen he knew made it through the war. He himself was a PoW for five years while another survivor had his leg amputated at 18.

During WW1 the casualties among RFC aircrew must have been way worse than the infantry's. It was pretty near suicidal. More glamorous though.

Top Bottom