Happy St George’s Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A flag gets hijacked by nutters or football / sports fans (AKA nutters) or other undesirables. There's a big image problem with the English flag. How does Scotland and Wales manage not to get their flag tarred as a national image. Its certainly been used in similarly questionable ways by their nutters.

And where is the English anthem for English sporting events?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
He also wrote the famous English Holidaymakers drinking song, "Here we go, Here we go, Here we go"

Known to many as the earwig song.

Reactions: C R
I missed this but there was a parade in Manchester on the 21st, actually there were several events on that day (couldn't name them all) as the Ashton Metro line wasn't running full service because of all of them.

I know a neighbours daughter had a parade in their town, she went as part of the Scouts, I did a few years ago for the same reasons.

But Happy Belated St Georges Day!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's him on the far right, taking his hat off.
1713956441035.png

He also has a mushroom named after him
St George's Mushroom
1713956522975.png

And it seems from the above news report that he is also the patron saint of cruelty to horses.

AndyRM

XOXO
A flag gets hijacked by nutters or football / sports fans (AKA nutters) or other undesirables. There's a big image problem with the English flag. How does Scotland and Wales manage not to get their flag tarred as a national image. Its certainly been used in similarly questionable ways by their nutters.

And where is the English anthem for English sporting events?

Jerusalem? Swing Low?

Anthems are weird.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Patron saints are a bit weird. Apart from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England could you name any other countries'? They probably have them but I don't know what they are. In fact the whole idea of saints is a bit weird.

Does the USA have a patron saint? Australia?

AndyRM

XOXO
Patron saints are a bit weird. Apart from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England could you name any other countries'? They probably have them but I don't know what they are. In fact the whole idea of saints is a bit weird.

The immaculate conception version of Mary is an unofficial saint in the USA.

Unsure about Australia. I'll nominate Guy Pearce or Nicole Kidman.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

St George is patron saint of quite a few countries, although i don't thank anyone asked him first.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

To answer my own question, it's all here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patron_saints_of_places

And it's all very weird.

Saints are an odd bunch. If you like medieval and renaissance art, knowing saints' attributes is key to figuring out who's who. These often indicate the means of their martyrdom. Woman with a dragon (on a leash or being trampled )? Margaret. Man with a griddle? St Lawrence. Woman carrying her breasts on a plate? St Agatha. Lots of grisly martyrdoms.

England, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Ukraine, Malta, Ethiopia, as well as Catalonia and Aragon in Spain, and Moscow in Russia, have claimed George as their patron saint. That's just one Saint. Are you betting the rest of Europe doesn't have a patron Saint.

BTW there's other areas of countries who venerate St George such as a region in Bavaria that apparently has a ride out as part of their celebrations.

BTW the top paragraph came from Wikipedia but I did see another site that had about 15 countries or regions of countries that had St George as a patron saint. Not surprising really considering nationalism and religion go together hand in hand with symbolism like patron saints.

I prefer St Patrick as he's also the patron Saint of engineers. He's credited with teaching the Irish to build with lime mortar instead of just dry stone. A skill that has stood the Irish well through the generations! :laugh:

Top Bottom