Happy St George’s Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
The only patron saint I give much of a stuff about is St. Christopher - patron saint of travellers.

My grandad always had a keyring with a representation of him in his car and it's a fond memory.

Patron saints are a bit weird. Apart from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England could you name any other countries'? They probably have them but I don't know what they are. In fact the whole idea of saints is a bit weird.

Does the USA have a patron saint? Australia?

I always thought that USA and Australia are more into folk icons like say Tom Sawyer for USA or Ned Kelly for Aus.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I always thought that USA and Australia are more into folk icons like say Tom Sawyer for USA or Ned Kelly for Aus.

Given that England isn't a particularly Christian place, perhaps we should do the same. It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a figure we all agree on.

First of all we'd need some criteria. How about - No Northern monkeys. No poncy Southerners.

Hmm ... on second thoughts, an obscure Turkish bloke will do fine.

AndyRM

XOXO
Given that England isn't a particularly Christian place, perhaps we should do the same. It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a figure we all agree on.

First of all we'd need some criteria. How about - No Northern monkeys. No poncy Southerners.

Hmm ... on second thoughts, an obscure Turkish bloke will do fine.

A Scot nominated himself earlier in the thread.

What about The Ghost of Terry Venables? Sounds a bit like "venerated" and his nickname of "El Tel" makes it sound all exotic like.

Mate, I don't want to rain on your parade, but St Pat is also credited with driving the snakes out of Ireland. Just sayin ...

Any native snakes in Ireland? Job done I think! Nice one St Pat!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The only patron saint I give much of a stuff about is St. Christopher - patron saint of travellers.

My grandad always had a keyring with a representation of him in his car and it's a fond memory.

I think he was made redundant when they invented the ferry boat.

Top Bottom