Happy St. George's Day everyone on Cyclechat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I wore my St. George's Cross Buff specially as well.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've just been sewing badges on to uniforms so they can go to school!!! (blue thread on black material !!! well its all I had).

Brock

Is there any actual reason apart from vague and slightly racist nationalism that we should (get pissed up on continental lager while waving Chinese made corporate branded merchandise flags) celebrate St. George's day? I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean to me as a Brit, but frankly it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Maz

Guru
I had a flag of St.George attached to my bike this morning (fits snugly in the loop of my saddle bag). Only saw 4 cars with flags.
Being Asian, and having been brought up in the heady days of the 70s and 80s, flying the flag is a great way of banishing childhood demons of the flag's association with the Far Right. Very therapeutic.

Melvil

Rigid Raider said:
....and it's my birthday! I was born on 23.4.56 !

Happy birthday, RR! I have the honour of being born on this day, too. St George (a wee bit dodgy in Malta, methinks) and Shakespeare (pretty swell bloke) make this pretty auspicious, English personality-wise.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Brock said:
Is there any actual reason apart from vague and slightly racist nationalism that we should ...

Any reason that we shouldn't celebrate it? Or that a desire to should stem from vaguely racist nationalism? I won't be getting ratted, or the other things you describe - the nippers will be having a St. George's day lunch at the school though, and I'll be wearing the red & white buff described earlier. I'll probably have a read of England, My England at some point too. Fairly quiet and understated, as such things go, compared with St. Patrick's day, for example, or the celebration of 4th July in the 'states, or Bastille Day in France. And I doubt anyone will feel left out for not celebrating it, or berated for failing to display a flag, or compelled to feel that they should join in if they don't want to.

Where's the harm in that?

Stwutter

Brock said:
Is there any actual reason apart from vague and slightly racist nationalism that we should...... but frankly it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

It's a sad day when someone English (which you presumably are) should feel uncomfortable or 'slightly racist' at a celebration of your nationality.

It's people like you that allow the PC brigade free-reign, which does nothing but divide, not unite.

Altogether now...

"Baa Baa Green Sheep....".

little miss

St George is the patron saint of Portugal, Georgia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Republic of Macedonia, Catalonia, and Moscow.

He was also Turkish.

Celebrate his day if you wish. I hope you have a jolly good time.

Happy Saint George's day.

Top Bottom