HAPPY ST GEORGE'S DAY part deux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I wanted to post this in the original Café St George's thread, but I'm precluded from posting in it after it was moved to the "other place" and the content is more suited for Café discussion anyway.

th-century_painters_-_Life_of_St_Edmund_-_WGA15723.jpg

Interesting fact: St. George isn't England's original patron saint. That honour falls to St Edmund, king of East Anglia in the 9th century who was brutally killed by marauding pagan worshiping Vikings in 870. St George was only declared as England's patron saint in the 14th century by the cult of the Knights of the Garter under the reign of Edward III.
St George is a mythical figure who certainly would have never set foot in England.
Edmund was a king in England who was killed defending his faith after refusing to convert to paganism.
If you're a true God fearing Englishman you wouldn't be celebrating the day of someone who probably didn't exist, but the day of a saint who was real and lived and died in England (20th November if you're interested).
St Edmund is also the patron saint of pandemics, which seems rather apt.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks Hitchy, you put David Starkey to shame. Not that it is something that is difficult to do.

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Happy St George's day, Hitch - my favourite saint is Saint Polycarp of Smyrna: Patron Saint Against Dysentery and Earaches. I'm nominating tomorrow as his day.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I wanted to post this in the original Café St George's thread, but I'm precluded from posting in it after it was moved to the "other place" and the content is more suited for Café discussion anyway.

View attachment 585363
Interesting fact: St. George isn't England's original patron saint. That honour falls to St Edmund, king of East Anglia in the 9th century who was brutally killed by marauding pagan worshiping Vikings in 870. St George was only declared as England's patron saint in the 14th century by the cult of the Knights of the Garter under the reign of Edward III.
St George is a mythical figure who certainly would have never set foot in England.
Edmund was a king in England who was killed defending his faith after refusing to convert to paganism.
If you're a true God fearing Englishman you wouldn't be celebrating the day of someone who probably didn't exist, but the day of a saint who was real and lived and died in England (20th November if you're interested).
St Edmund is also the patron saint of pandemics, which seems rather apt.

Thank you for the persistence to post your interesting information!

Some rather fetching mini-skirts in that illustration. ;)

Good point.
Thanks, I'll take that! X

I used to live in the Suffolk village of Hoxne which is the historical site of Edmund's demise at the hands of viking pillager Ivor the Boneless.
Legend has it that Edmund was hiding under Goldbrook Bridge when he was discovered by a couple travelling from Cross Street to the church in Low Street to get married. The couple betrayed Edmund to Ivor the Boneless who had him tied to an oak tree and riddled with arrows. Before dying Edmund put a curse on the bridge so even to this day, wedding parties avoid using it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't know why the 1st thread on this subject has been messed around with. 🤔 Anyway,i'd just like to say Happy Saint George's Day to all out there!!! 🧐 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I used to live in the Suffolk village of Hoxne which is the historical site of Edmund's demise at the hands of viking pillager Ivor the Boneless.
Legend has it that Edmund was hiding under Goldbrook Bridge when he was discovered by a couple travelling from Cross Street to the church in Low Street to get married. The couple betrayed Edmund to Ivor the Boneless who had him tied to an oak tree and riddled with arrows. Before dying Edmund put a curse on the bridge so even to this day, wedding parties avoid using it.
I can believe that, Ivar the Boneless was a nasty so & so, I've seen him on that series Vikings, he got his come uppance, allegedly, at Repton

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We have a Patron Saint of Northumbria (Cuthbert), he seems to have escaped the Vikings, perhaps, too early (mid 600's), history is not my strong point ;) It would appear that after his. death, his remains, had to be moved about, to escape the Danes, and, (supposedly) ended up in Durham.

Top Bottom