Happy St George's Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
I had a little bet to myself as to how long it would be before someone would be along with a comment along those sort of lines.
I was thinking it might run 6 posts or more.
You couldn't even let it run to 2 replies.
Have a coconut. :rolleyes:

Well said.

When people complain that our patron saint's day isn't as celebrated as it should be, you can look to the 'spoilers' with their silly comments and opinions and partially blame them, imho. It's pathetic.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Yes Happy St Georges Day
Slayer of the ignorant
Vanquisher of the intolerant

1North.jpg

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Well said.

When people complain that our patron saint's day isn't as celebrated as it should be, you can look to the 'spoilers' with their silly comments and opinions and partially blame them, imho. It's pathetic.

I'm not religious and to be honest, I think having a Christian martyr as a saint (Dragons don't exist, that's just mythology) is a bit dull and also a tad hypocritical since Christianity has done it's fair share of persecuting non-believers over the millennia. You also get complete arses drunk in pubs who waft the England flag about on the day who revere the guy for some odd reason.

I'd dump George and go for a modern saint, someone who's contributed in a positive, non-religious way to our culture. David Attenborough anyone?.

I also think our national anthem is a pretty awful dirge, so how about a new one that's easily identifiable and is known all over the world: The Dr Who theme:okay:.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not religious and to be honest, I think having a Christian martyr as a saint (Dragons don't exist, that's just mythology) is a bit dull and also a tad hypocritical since Christianity has done it's fair share of persecuting non-believers over the millennia. You also get complete arses drunk in pubs who waft the England flag about on the day who revere the guy for some odd reason.

I'd dump George and go for a modern saint, someone who's contributed in a positive, non-religious way to our culture. David Attenborough anyone?.

I also think our national anthem is a pretty awful dirge, so how about a new one that's easily identifiable and is known all over the world: The Dr Who theme:okay:.
Don't exist, mythical?
TELEMMGLPICT000181697886_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqzZqOgOJXOqkE_ZaqGDwVPIDFpkJIALGJc3DI2UF95ng.jpeg

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days

On those lines...

View: https://youtu.be/i9nnnM-__JQ

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

The Komodo 'Dragon' (planets biggest lizard) is indigenous to Indonesia. The St George myth originates from the roman province of Cappadocia but later transferred to Libya. I doubt a Komodo dragon turned up in Libya. Possible if one was captured (in the 13th century?). Sorry to rain on the parade, but St George is basically a Christian martyr who was executed by the Romans. No dragons involved.

Top Bottom