hard time with clipless, spd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
+1 for trying it on the roads, not in small circles in the garden.
I started on clipless last summer, and got the hang of it quite quickly (can't remember what type mine are, but I have to move my heel out to unclip). Just be aware at junctions that you have to unclip the foot you are going to put down (so in practice, I only usually unclip one foot while still moving, then that foot goes on the ground and I can unclip the other - so your problem of the cleat re-engaging does not really apply).

The only couple of near-misses I've had were at give way junctions where I thought the road was clear and I wasn't going to need to stop, and then I saw a car at the last moment - but by then I'd got used to the unclipping movement so even in the mild panic induced by the bike beginning to lean over with my foot still attached to the pedal, the thing unclipped before I embarrassed myself!

ward-c

dont beat youself up- i tried them and found it impossible and downright dangerous.

Rhythm Thief said:
One good piece of advice would be NOT to fit SPDs to your girlfriend's bike the day before a heavily laden tour of Cornwall during which you were hoping to sell her the idea of holidaying in that way every year ... ;)

How d'you know that RT? :biggrin:
I must be different, because I transited to SPDs no problem, but I have been using toeclips for years now. Despite that, I've had two 'moments'.
One, taking the 180 degree uphill right-hand turn on the ramp to a footbridge too fast, foudn the radius of my turn was too big leading off the outer edge of the path and down the slight embankment at the side of said path into some bushes :smile: A dab down of the foot would have saved me and has I had toeclips Id've been able to get my foot down easily. But my brain always tries to unclip my left foot first and since this was at the top of the pedal stroke I couldn't. Coupled with rapid loss of forward motion left me stuck and floundering, and only grabbing the approaching handrail of the footbridge stopped me becoming part of the shrubbery!
The other was too little speed and the foot at the top of the pedal stroke. Fortunately there was a vertical RSJ next to me that I could grab while I sorted myself out.
As said futher up, you can't practice in your garden, find a field. My tip is always have the foot you want to un-clip at the bottom of the pedal stroke, it's much easier.
And, persevere, you will get there!:smile:

Ranger

I use the multi-directional release cleats and haven't gone over yet in 3 years (though I have been close). They give you the ability to simply pull up really hard in an emergency and unclip, the downside is they can also accidentally unclip when you are really working going up a hill

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ranger said:
I use the multi-directional release cleats and haven't gone over yet in 3 years (though I have been close). They give you the ability to simply pull up really hard in an emergency and unclip, the downside is they can also accidentally unclip when you are really working going up a hill

I think I would be frightened to pull up with those,the thought of unclipping suddenly on a steep climb is a bit worrying.

colinr

I think I would be frightened to pull up with those,the thought of unclipping suddenly on a steep climb is a bit worrying.

Especially when you're out of the saddle and slip off the pedal on the downstroke. Makes your eyes water when you drop back into the saddle at full force!

Not a great ad for clipless there... but it was with SPD-SLs that I really shouldn't be using for commuting.

OP
OP
thanos

thanos

thanks everyone! MLC, its great to hear that you took to it so easily (great work ethic). Cubist, I will follow your advice.. its just that ill have to pad the heck out of my right leg, cause I tend to stick the knee out when im about to fall. The position of the cleat is ok (bunion wise) but it may need to be centered a bit more.

Right being my dominant leg, I seem to be having issues unclipping the left more than anything (the left causes me to panic).
Anyhow I got fed up looking at the shoes with fear so wore them this morning, got on my old bike substituted the right pedal with the equivalent spd, and off i went (no problems what so ever).

I will therefore delay the purchase of the sh56, as unclipping the right was much easier (on lowest resistance setting) once i had momentum, however my knee being a bit soar from my previous session reminded me that close radius turns, and limited momentum moments still need to be dealt with. I still think there may be value for beginners in the SH56's especially when it comes to reducing the fear of not being able to unclip.

Its worth noting (even though its not the best experiment) that not being confined makes a huge difference in unclipping, as you guys suggested.

My commute every morning with my old bike is: huge uphill, downhill, gentle uphill, downhill, gentle uphill, finally a straight away. The 'right fitted' SPD made a big difference (justifying the use of clipless). Once I switch to the road bike the commute will be different (still hilly) but that pretty much means you have more energy to go on longer rides (regardless of his/her commute distance).

thanos said:
because I want to unclip the left foot first while on the seat,.
why? being detached from the pedals while sitting on the saddle is a recipe for disaster

Get out of the saddle and then unclip - I use clipless pedals on all my bikes every day but never, never unclip when in the saddle - no point as I cannot reach the ground anyway - When stopping I apply the brakes enough that I leave the saddle or just stand up on the right pedal - right foot is down with my weight on it , left is up and unweighted, unclip left, foot down

OP
OP
thanos

thanos

psmiffy said:
why? being detached from the pedals while sitting on the saddle is a recipe for disaster

Get out of the saddle and then unclip - I use clipless pedals on all my bikes every day but never, never unclip when in the saddle - no point as I cannot reach the ground anyway - When stopping I apply the brakes enough that I leave the saddle or just stand up on the right pedal - right foot is down with my weight on it , left is up and unweighted, unclip left, foot down

See.. technique issues... I will incorporate the advice at the parking lot / thanks :tongue:

paddy01

Won't offer any explicit advice the the rest of the guys have the bases covered.

Just offer you some encouragement that clipless moments happen to all of us at one time or another.

I've been riding clipless since the early 90's and now I virtually can't ride a bike with 'normal' pedals because it's just too odd, for me clipping in and out is pure muscle memory and is entirely sub-concious.

Didn't stop me from making a balls up last night and clipping back in by mistake when stationary on a narrow road and keeling over gently into the adjacent bramble bush :tongue:

OP
OP
thanos

thanos

HJ said:
There is a short video here about how to use clipless pedals, hope that helps.

Great quality clip.. demonstrates the principle clearly and gives the viewer an estimate of the amount of force and resistance an SPD is likely to produce when twisting.

Heres a video on what NOT to do.. use soft ground areas if you have em.. my tibia top still aches from a single bad /clumsy/ fall against concrete.

So for anyone about to try clipless for the first time, heres my list of generic suggestions:

• Give yourself plenty of room, like a straight away or lot; soft ground / proper falling technique (tuck limbs in, wear clothes that protect elbows/knees) / another person to help are all pluses.
  • Unclip the leg you plan to put down first on the approach to a stop (Give yourself 5-10s) - focus on that, land, get off the seat, once stopped unclip the remaining one as shown in HJ's video clip.
If your confidence is already seriously shaken but you still realize the potential benefits of going clipless, you may want to try having a combination of an spd pedal and a non clipless one (some spd models have both).

Top Bottom