Hard-to-reach radiator valve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Having squeezed an Ikea wardrobe into the corner of the room we use for the grandkids, overlapping the radiator by about 6 inches, I find that I can't reach past it to turn the valve on or off.

I had naively assumed that this would be a common problem (!) and that it would be possible to buy off-the-shelf some kind of extension handle that I could engage with the valve from above the top of the radiator. A bit like this:

stopcockkey457.jpg

although that's designed to fit a stopcock rather than a radiator valve.

I can't find one anywhere - can anyone suggest a source, or am I looking at a DIY effort?

D

Deleted member 26715

Why do you need to get to it, can you not get to the one at the other end & leave that one open?

U

User6179

If you can reach the other valve on the other side just turn it off there .

snorri

Legendary Member
Buy a plastic filler with a top diameter big enough to fit over the valve handle. Attach the small end of the filler to a wooden rod long enough to get down to reach the valve.

D

Deleted member 26715

There's no valve at the other end - it's an elderly dual-entry radiator (both entry and exit pipes at the same end).
Can you get to the pipe work anywhere else & put another valve inline

sight-pin

Veteran
I take it it's a TRV type valve your wanting to adjust, as the other end should be a lockshield valve, if you adjust that you could alter your system balance.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Buy a plastic filler with a top diameter big enough to fit over the valve handle. Attach the small end of the filler to a wooden rod long enough to get down to reach the valve.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines.

But I've just had another look at the existing knob - I thought it was hexagonal but it's actually 5-sided so I'm not sure whether I can find anything the right shape to grip it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Is it a thermostatic type or just the old style off/on

Top Bottom