Hardly any top trim, faulty Shimano FD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJD

Hi all,

I've set up quite a few Shimano front derailleurs recently and thought I had the hang of it, however I've just put some new chain rings on my first road bike (almost 2 years old), and the top trim position isn't behaving as expected no matter how many times I try (I've been fiddling with it for many hours).

Here's a video of a 105 R7000 front derailleur which I've setup, it has an ample amount of top trim movement:

And here's the problematic derailleur which is a 105 FD-5801, the movement between top and top trim are minuscule, and no matter what I try it remains the same:

In the videos I'm switching between top and top trim.

The L and H screw on each derailleur look roughly the same, so I'm not setting them up wildly different. I followed the same instructions too, so either I'm missing something entirely or the 105 FD-5801 is faulty?

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 21.39.02.png

Would be good to know if anyone has encountered these issues before, if it's faulty I'll try look into warranty as it's within 2 years still, but I've no idea how to get hold of Shimano.

Thanks for the help.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Tighten the cable up a bit ?

Why would the FD be faulty? It just 'does what it's told' by the cable to the extent set by the limit screws, so I'd posit in decreasing order of likelihood that either the cable's not moving freely, the limit screw's not set correctly and is setting the full-out just a gnat's above the half-click position or the shifter's broken.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Why would the FD be faulty? It just 'does what it's told' by the cable to the extent set by the limit screws, so I'd posit in decreasing order of likelihood that either the cable's not moving freely, the limit screw's not set correctly and is setting the full-out just a gnat's above the half-click position or the shifter's broken.

Good point, I did wonder if the cable could be to blame.

What made me doubt the cable being at fault was the fact it works as expected for low to top every time.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Your cable doesn't appear to move when you shift further over to the big ring, just before you try and "trim". This suggests lack of cable tension. I would reset everything back and try again, not forgetting the cable tension setting step, where you line up the "lines"

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi all,

I've set up quite a few Shimano front derailleurs recently and thought I had the hang of it, however I've just put some new chain rings on my first road bike (almost 2 years old), and the top trim position isn't behaving as expected no matter how many times I try (I've been fiddling with it for many hours).

Here's a video of a 105 R7000 front derailleur which I've setup, it has an ample amount of top trim movement:

And here's the problematic derailleur which is a 105 FD-5801, the movement between top and top trim are minuscule, and no matter what I try it remains the same:

In the videos I'm switching between top and top trim.

The L and H screw on each derailleur look roughly the same, so I'm not setting them up wildly different. I followed the same instructions too, so either I'm missing something entirely or the 105 FD-5801 is faulty?

View attachment 532809

Would be good to know if anyone has encountered these issues before, if it's faulty I'll try look into warranty as it's within 2 years still, but I've no idea how to get hold of Shimano.

Thanks for the help.

These compact FD's are a bitch to set up.

Changed the one on my new bike back to a 5701 'long arm' to preserve my sanity.

After a 6 hour stint I gave up trying to hit all 4 positions with the new fangled compact design. Two mechanics at the LBS also gave up too.

When I 'chatted' to Trek US they said that they had found them problematic too.

Designed to accommodate wide tyres they are superfluous for my needs. My 32mm's clear with about 6/7mm and my 35's by about 4mm either side.

Top Bottom