Hardtail budget £800 via Halfords CycletoWork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee

Any recommendations guys?

I was wanting a Boardman Pro 29er but the only one I have tracked down is a display model with damaged brakes which they say they will replace but not 100% on that to be honest.

Is it worth asking for some money off seeing as its a display bike? Really want that model really.

I'd like a 29er which is lightweight and can do the odd trail and commute to work.

Thoughts please?

Many thanks.

Can you get it via the Boardman site or via Tredz as both accept Halfords C2W vouchers.

OP
OP
Lee

Lee

Yeah can use Tredz and Cycle Republic but the Boardman Pro 29er is not on there with it being last years model - only have the Mht 8.8 and 8.9 which I am not keen on as they weigh a fair bit more.

lane

Veteran
Certainly worth asking for a discount. Also in store price is often a lot higher than the web and they will match web price if you ask.

OP
OP
Lee

Lee

They did offer me the 8.8 for the same price as the display Pro 29er ie £800 when it should be £850 but didnt mention anything off the Pro at the time, I said I'll think it over.

I kind of thought they would with it being a display model. I may ask as I am struggling to find a alternative with similar specs and weight.

Drago

Legendary Member
Halfords won't. Mrs D wanted a Pendleton. Local Hellfrauds had one, but the paint was damaged. They refused to discount, against company policy they said. I drove to the branch at the other side of town and bought an undamaged one for the same amount.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you really want that model, and you've found the last one in the country (probably) and they've undertaken to sort the brake issue out, then what's the problem?
It will still come with a full warranty and being on C2W you've got that behind you if there are any problems.

Ask nicely and they might chuck in a few freebies, but is it worth losing the bike over and ending up with something you don't want?

OP
OP
Lee

Lee

Cheers all for the comments, I've decided against getting this bike through Halfords - in fact I've bought one elsewhere now! I just need to cancel the Cycle 2 Work scheme now but heard it isn't that simple.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers all for the comments, I've decided against getting this bike through Halfords - in fact I've bought one elsewhere now! I just need to cancel the Cycle 2 Work scheme now but heard it isn't that simple.
Just tell your HR department. They shouldn’t start your repayments until you’ve cashed in the voucher

OP
OP
Lee

Lee

Just tell your HR department. They shouldn’t start your repayments until you’ve cashed in the voucher

They started to deduct it from my wages on the 10th Sept and they then sent the LOC through on the 20th!!

vickster

Legendary Member
That doesn’t sound good if you’ve gone and bought a bike with cash.
Best sort the C2W out before being stuck with a voucher to repay and another bike

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Why not? The contract is for a voucher of £X, AFAIK there isn't any loop back to the company to say when you've bought the bike, but I may perhaps be mistaken, so happy to be corrected on that.

When you do go back to your HR Dept, use the magic words 'cooling off period', I suggest, which should accompany any financial agreement, again AFAIK.

lane

Veteran
Why not? The contract is for a voucher of £X, AFAIK there isn't any loop back to the company to say when you've bought the bike, but I may perhaps be mistaken, so happy to be corrected on that.

When you do go back to your HR Dept, use the magic words 'cooling off period', I suggest, which should accompany any financial agreement, again AFAIK.

Maybe depends on the scheme. But in my experience when the bike is purchased the company gets an invoice for the amount paid for the bike. Not sure exactly how else it would work because even though the voucher has been issued the amount to be paid for the bike is unknown until the bike is purchased.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Maybe depends on the scheme. But in my experience when the bike is purchased the company gets an invoice for the amount paid for the bike. Not sure exactly how else it would work because even though the voucher has been issued the amount to be paid for the bike is unknown until the bike is purchased.
Good point. I really should remember the detail, but I must confess that others were administering it very effectively for me :laugh:

Top Bottom