Hardtail for event days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuji-stu

As the title says really...I sold my camber fsr and bought an orange five am which is great but I want something light for MTB events etc any suggestions budgets around a grand...cheers

Cubist

Still wavin'
On One Whippet X9? Carbon fibre 2x10 with a reba fork for a grand? Rude not to. Was 1500 quid apparently.

OP
OP
fuji-stu

fuji-stu

Sorted I've just put a deposit down for a 2012 trek 6900 with xt and slx with a reba fork for a grand...it's so light it'll be flying machine up the hills

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was going to suggest Kinesis Decade Versa built as a singlespeed with rigid forks.:wacko:

But the OP's definition of light and mine are clearly a bit different.

OP
OP
fuji-stu

fuji-stu

Ok got the bike home now and have fitted maxis advantage tyres to it and it weighs 27 pounds? my five AM weighs nearly 33 pound so i guess it seems light to me having been riding my Orange :training:

VamP

Banned
27 pounds is pretty heavy for an event bike. My Pace comes in at 24 with pedals and that's a bit too beefy to race really. That whippet with equivalent kit would have been around 21 pounds, that's what you'll be up against at XC races - or lighter.

OP
OP
fuji-stu

fuji-stu

When I say events I mean charity events and stuff like that.. I don't mean racing racing..I did look at a Scott scale 35 and a couple of cubes and a whyte but I didnt really want a carbon frame And a steal frame was out of the question.. I think the trek was the best of the bunch that I had short listed and I had to make sure it was able to cope with the abuse it's going to get around here..

Cubist

Still wavin'
When I say events I mean charity events and stuff like that.. I don't mean racing racing..I did look at a Scott scale 35 and a couple of cubes and a whyte but I didnt really want a carbon frame And a steal frame was out of the question.. I think the trek was the best of the bunch that I had short listed and I had to make sure it was able to cope with the abuse it's going to get around here..
Ah, that explains it. Why was steel out of the question by the way? My Cotic soul weighs 25lb with mainly SLX kit. It can handle a lot of abuse!

Top Bottom