Hardtail ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hello Everyone,
Lately on the trails I've been having this feeling. The feeling that a good hardtail would feel so much nicer and improve my riding so much more than just relying on my Suspension to do all the work.
After careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that a hardtail will be perfect for me and the riding I do !!!
I'm looking for :
• A hardtail made from preferably steel but will consider aluminium also.
• I love aggressive downhills and need a fork capable of taking big impacts ... so preferably a fork with between 140 and 160 mm of travel.
• 1x10 / 1x11 Gearing (SRAM or SHIMANO)
• A Dropper seatpost ( Not essential )
• 27.5 or 29" Wheels
• Good brakes

And here's the catch ... I'm a man on a budget here.

My budget for the bike will be £2000.

Any suggestions, advice or just general conversation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, you guys always help and I'm sure you will again !!!

Your feeling is wrong. Or, you've attributed the right feeling to the wrong premise.

Okay, and you say this why ?
Completely open to opinions ^_^

Aggressive downhill and hardtail used in same sentence. It is dumb.
Big impacts in front, you need 160mm you say but those same impacts go through the back, which is a hard tail.

What are you trying to achieve and what did this epiphany of yours reveal other than a feeling?

Kajjal

Guru
Hardtails are not the best for really aggressive downhills you will just take a beating. Fast smoother downhills and they fly.

I have an xc hardtail and ride it mainly on natural trails which it is great for. Also red runs in trail parks but anything above that it is not so good and full suspension is really the way forward. I started mountain biking in the very early 1990's when there was no suspension or disc brakes, over anything rough you took a pounding.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Big impacts in front, you need 160mm you say but those same impacts go through the back, which is a hard tail.

What are you trying to achieve and what did this epiphany of yours reveal other than a feeling?
Perhaps my use of the word 'downhills' wasn't right. I meant descents .... as in fast rooty, rocky descents. With mostly fast smooth descents and trails with some jumps. Sorry for the confusion.
I do mainly XC and trails with some more technical descents and I feel like I'm not truly progressing my skills with a full suspension ?

Hardtails are not the best for really aggressive downhills you will just take a beating. Fast smoother downhills and they fly.

I have an xc hardtail and ride it mainly on natural trails which it is great for. Also red runs in trail parks but anything above that it is not so good and full suspension is really the way forward. I started mountain biking in the very early 1990's when there was no suspension or disc brakes, over anything rough you took a pounding.[

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I feel as if I am relying more on my rear shock than actually skill !!!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What sort of riding do you do ?
And also does a hardtail mean much less fettling and maintenance ?
Thanks.
Just a few trails,I like a bit of fettling, A hardtail is just nicer to ride, But then i have never ridden a high end full susser.
I mostly ride road bikes, But used to ride in Epping forest on a full suspension bike,But give me a hardtail anyday.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Trust me, hardtail FTW! I ride a 23yr old hardtail and it is a long time since I have been out ridden on the trail unless I was hanging back for my kids. Having said that, goodness knows what I would do on a full suss?

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Just a few trails,I like a bit of fettling, A hardtail is just nicer to ride, But then i have never ridden a high end full susser.
I mostly ride road bikes, But used to ride in Epping forest on a full suspension bike,But give me a hardtail anyday.
Yeah, does having a hardtail ever hinder you ?

Top Bottom