Hardtail ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

I think that might be a little to hardcore for me ^_^ is that what you ride ?!
Yeah, but to be fair all my fillings have gone and my knees and wrists don't really work anymore! I've never ridden anything with suspension on, but don't go down anything approaching extreme these days.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Yeah, but to be fair all my fillings have gone and my knees and wrists don't really work anymore! I've never ridden anything with suspension on, but don't go down anything approaching extreme these days.
Ah I'm not surprised

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well... I have a HT and FS. I ride xc, with not a lot of high technical difficulty. Can't recommend a bike as I have a feeling anything over here might not be available over there, and I really don't know the UK market. But while I can't offer advice, hey, this is a forum and I can offer an opinion!

From what little I know, it would seem from your description an FS is the bike for you (btw, I think you'll find recent FS bikes to be vastly different from 2005 designs and personally I'd recommend you give a modern FS a go to see what is different).... but: I totally see it, and I'd venture you are more likely to get a better HT for the price than an FS. There are times when I take my HT over the FS and vice versa, though again, no big jumps or highly technical sections for me. Then again, there are definitely times I take my FS over my HT. I have to say, it's nice having the choice, though I'll be the first to admit if I have a lot of rocks and roots, it's FS all the way and my first choice.

Got to also add: as you get older and those joints start to ache, it is nicer on an FS. Good luck with whatever you decide on, and what ever you get, if it makes you want to or ride more, then it's worth it!

Highly upgraded GIANT NRS from about 2005.
No wonder you're not enjoying aggressive down hills on your full susser, a GIANT NRS is hardly the right bike for the job. A steep angled short travel XC bike is going to feel twitchy as heck down a rooty/rocky trail. You probably feel perched too high in the saddle and with too much weight over the bars.

Yea a slack angled 160mm hardtail will feel better than your NRS, but a modern full susser will be even better. Get yourself something like a Specialized Camber 29er and go have fun.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

No wonder you're not enjoying aggressive down hills on your full susser, a GIANT NRS is hardly the right bike for the job. A steep angled short travel XC bike is going to feel twitchy as heck down a rooty/rocky trail. You probably feel perched too high in the saddle and with too much weight over the bars.

Yea a slack angled 160mm hardtail will feel better than your NRS, but a modern full susser will be even better. Get yourself something like a Specialized Camber 29er and go have fun.
Thanks for the advice man !!!!

Ciar

Veteran
I switched from an XC HT to the bike in my picture, it's a trail bike running 120 up front and it's lovely, can handle all that i ride and a bit more, the best part is it has a setting on the suspension to allow you to ride trail or fully open or locked to a point, so you can adjust for the terrain at the time.

If I had a bike that I'd paid £2,200 for, I'm sure I'd be very pleased too. Enjoy.

But never use the words "carbon" and "cracking" in the same sentence. :whistle:

Diggs

Veteran
Rigid 80s & 90s steel is where it's at man.
or Rigid steel '16 ^_^

bike.JPG

Top Bottom