Hardtil vs full sus

Hardtail vs Full suspension

• Full suspension makes a huge difference offroad, I dont know how I lived without it

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Stick with a hardtail, a decent full sus bike is far too expensive and simply not worth it

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No shocks at all, I prefer a totally solid ride

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Just get a seatpost with a spring in it

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Hardtail vs full sus

Im very happy with my hardtail MTB and have no intentions of changing for a full sus bike anytime soon, but after seeing a few full suspension bikes recently being ridden on the trails, im wondering how much better than hardtails they are.

I remember hearing sometime back that they can take more energy to pedal due to losing some through compression of the rear shock, but I dont know how true this is?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Steel is as much flex as I want:becool:.

ramses

Hard tail for me, all the time.

Far more versatile as well. Too much energy loss on full suspension for my liking.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It totally depends on where you want to ride, and what you want out of it.
Personally, I use my HT for all my local riding (South East England) and just have the full susser for "holiday riding" in Wales.

My mate rides a full susser locally though, he built it up from the frame using very light and high quality components.
It's extremely compotent, and he really does have the best of both Worlds but it came at a high price (cost him nearly 3 Grand all in) and he still has the hassle of servicing the rear shock and linkages etc.

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
spence said:
Not again, the answers simple. Have both and take whichever is best suited to that days ride.

lol - i dont think i would ever be able to afford a hardtail and a full suspension bike. I guess that a full-sus with a lockout on the rear would make it more versatile in a way

lukesdad

Hardly ever ride my full-bouncer,the HT wins every time.Except doing downhills and I m too old for that now.:tongue:

homercles

As many have mentioned it really does depend on the terrain and personal preference. Unless you ride on serious downhill courses or can afford to blow several grand on a high quality lightweight FS bike then stick with a hardtail. It will probably be lighter, easier to maintain and faster on most trails. I see too many shiny FS bikes bouncing along the roads and can't help wondering why they didn't just get a road bike so they could travel twice as fast.

e-rider

crappy member
ditched my front shocks and have now gone fully rigid - I managed 15 years ago and I'm getting on just fine again now - love the weight saving and climbing too

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I stuck with a hardtail for years and used all the same arguments to justify doing so.

But then I found a Santa Cruz Superlight second hand and the difference is unbelievable! The improvements are not just on the downhills but on the ups and cross country as well. There is nothing that it doesn't do better than a hardtail.

As for maintenance, there is almost nothing in it. The rear shock is tucked away out of the crap and the swing arm bearing are not only durable but also cheap and really easy to replace when needs be. In fact, this 'designed for California' bike is infinitely easier to look after than those 'designed for the UK' ridden by some others in our group.

So don't knock FS; they are simply better in every way for riding cross country. They are as fast and at 24lbs, there is not really a weight penalty either. But you need to look at individual models and choose accordingly because it is true, there are some dogs out there!

OliverAmoros

Very happy with my Speccy Enduro FSR. I was lucky to get it cheap though with a combination of a discount and Cycle scheme otherwise I would not have stumped up the cash.

It certainly has a confidence boosting effect to tackle obstacles I would think twice about on a hard tail. Also very good for fast rooty descents, of which there are plenty in the Surrey North Downs.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A few months ago I tried someone's Specialized carbon hardtail. I was staggered at how good it felt, it rode and handled like a dream; I reckon a bike like that should be the Holy Grail for any cross country rider. As far as I'm concerned a well-designed carbon or Ti frame handles so well and is so smooth and easy to ride that I'm not interested in extra weight and complication and expense for a little bit of extra comfort. And how well would a FS bike handle compared with the best hardtail?

GilesM

Legendary Member
Globalti said:
A few months ago I tried someone's Specialized carbon hardtail. I was staggered at how good it felt, it rode and handled like a dream; I reckon a bike like that should be the Holy Grail for any cross country rider. As far as I'm concerned a well-designed carbon or Ti frame handles so well and is so smooth and easy to ride that I'm not interested in extra weight and complication and expense for a little bit of extra comfort. And how well would a FS bike handle compared with the best hardtail?

Try a full suss bike, you really will be surprised.

Top Bottom