Hardware Recommendations for ZWIFT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I use Apple TV connected via hmdi to 2nd hand TV screen . Trainer gives zwift power and cadence via Bluetooth another Bluetooth channel is used for the remote which still leaves a spare channel for HR .
The remote on Apple TV is a bit hit and miss and if you use it game it can do some strange stuff like changing the TV channel not good if your racing .
With Apple TV you can get picture in picture so a small window opens and you can watch TV and run zwift on the same screen .

CXRAndy

Guru
With Apple TV you can get picture in picture so a small window opens and you can watch TV and run zwift on the same screen

I didn't know that Phil, Im not an apple guy, but wanted a cheap setup for my Stages, this will be used for longer training rides. Having the option to watch a film will be great. Can you resize the pip?

13 rider

Guru
I didn't know that Phil, Im not an apple guy, but wanted a cheap setup for my Stages, this will be used for longer training rides. Having the option to watch a film will be great. Can you resize the pip?
I not overly techy ,Only know as I saw a GP lama you tube on it .I think the in picture is quite small

Daninplymouth

I use Apple TV connected via hmdi to 2nd hand TV screen . Trainer gives zwift power and cadence via Bluetooth another Bluetooth channel is used for the remote which still leaves a spare channel for HR .
The remote on Apple TV is a bit hit and miss and if you use it game it can do some strange stuff like changing the TV channel not good if your racing .
With Apple TV you can get picture in picture so a small window opens and you can watch TV and run zwift on the same screen .

Never knew about pip will try this next time as I only need a small window for Zwift if I’m training or on a gentle ride

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Would this be any good for use with a wattbike atom v2 ? + zwift.

LENOVO

Zwift doesn't run spectacular on my iPad Pro M1, so I would wager that the Lenovo would be crap. Then again, I use a low spec gaming PC for Zwift etc., but others seem content with old school graphics and 30FPS on an Apple TV. So each to their own I guess...

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Zwift doesn't run spectacular on my iPad Pro M1, so I would wager that the Lenovo would be crap. Then again, I use a low spec modern PC for Zwift etc., but others seem content with old school graphics and 30FPS on an Apple TV. So each to their own I guess...

Oh right I thought iPad was the ultimate device for zwift ?

I'm running zwift on my phone at the minute !

I was thinking Apple TV and flat screen - but don't have the cash or space on the wall yet - so the Lenovo tablet was going to be interim measure.

13 rider

Guru
Oh right I thought iPad was the ultimate device for zwift ?

I'm running zwift on my phone at the minute !

I was thinking Apple TV and flat screen - but don't have the cash or space on the wall yet - so the Lenovo tablet was going to be interim measure.
Yes the tablet will get you up and running ,graphics won't be the best they can be and game could be a bit laggy but if your just riding zwift these things won't matter .

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Yes the tablet will get you up and running ,graphics won't be the best they can be and game could be a bit laggy but if your just riding zwift these things won't matter .

Ok - so if I wanted top notch graphics what would I need ? The Apple tv thing + flat screen ?

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Ok - so if I wanted top notch graphics what would I need ? The Apple tv thing + flat screen ?

No Apple TV will give you "top notch" graphics - it is stuck at basic profile (same as a bog-standard PC-laptop) and 30FPS.
For top notch graphics you will need a PC with a dedicated graphics card. Will set you back around £150-300 depending on the graphics card, if using secondhand parts. Almost any decent (office) PC from the last 6-8 years paired with a even a low end graphics card will be much better than the Apple TV.
But nothing beats the Apple TV 4K (or a modern smartphone/tablet) in loading Zwift! I turn on the PC, put on my shoes, starts Zwift, mounts myself on the bike and turn on fans etc. When I have finished, Zwift is ready too, so not an issue for me... I would say less than 2 minutes on the PC and about 30 sec on Apple TV - depending on which remote you have. :laugh:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
As above post top notch graphics come via a gaming pc . I run my Apple TV on an old 2nd TV and find the graphics acceptable would it be better with a newer TV screen ? Don't now . The picture on you tablet will be lovely and clear just a small screen compared to my 32" screen . Depends on what space you have my zwift setup is in a small box room permanently setup .
The advantage of using the tablet is you get a tablet for general use

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Zwift doesn't run spectacular on my iPad Pro M1, so I would wager that the Lenovo would be crap. Then again, I use a low spec gaming PC for Zwift etc., but others seem content with old school graphics and 30FPS on an Apple TV. So each to their own I guess...

It's hard to tell how the android device will fare, but suffice to say that most Android Tablets are not particularly good with Zwift as they use relatively slow and cheaper processors than you'd find on a mobile, although Zwift are pretty good at making sure you can't even see the app in the app store if your device isn't remotely suitable.

Top Bottom