Harley riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
The only acceptable use of a Harley engine is in a Buell or Norton featherbed frame. Any other application requires a tassled/fringed leather jacket and a pair of cowboy boots to be worn.

My last bike was a Buell XB12 Lightning. I liked it a lot. Motor was crude and vibey, but was very suited to a naked roadster type bike.
I've never ridden a Hardly Dangerous, but I suspect that if you're not in a hurry or seeking speed thrills they are very decent bikes. Different mindset from a Fireblade, just chill out take t easy and enjoy the journey. Go for it.

S-Express

My last road bike was a TL1000R - that was a proper v-twin - awesome motor, but turned like a barge...

IMG_0685-1.jpg

Goggs

Guru
Ten years ago my wife & I went around the coast of southern Corsica on the back of Harleys owned by a couple of Austrian Hells Angels (seriously). It was great fun.

Where we live now there are more Harleys than scooters. The Matt black look is very popular but when you see the owners they're just poseurs. I'd rather have a big scooter.

ayceejay

Guru
Many years ago I had a Ransomes lawn mower with a single pot BSA engine, it made that tub sound thump thump thump and if you left it running it would carry on like this until you got back - Harley's don't seem able to do this.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
When I was delivering Thomson Local directories one time, I saw one of the big Ford F150 pickups, bigger than the Ranger builders normally terrorize cyclists with. It was a Harley Davidson special edition. That's just trying too hard.

keithmac

Guru
The are actually quite relaxing to ride!, as said there's a fair few Japanese and English (Triumph) models that do a very similar job for a lot less money..

I would avoid the Rocket though (2.3l tripple), seen far too many of these in bits due to gearbox issues.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Don't know about Harleys, but I'm hankering after another bike and there are so many I like the look of, it seems like a golden age for bikes. I've just been in Corsica and my tongue was hanging out of my mouth at times. Trouble is, I can't decide on the style I like.

keithmac

Guru
One of the nicest bikes I've ridden this year was an old Ducati 907ie (1990), had to recomission it after being stood 10 years (fuel system was completely ruined due to old fuel).

It was just lovely and smooth to ride, really nice!.

Modern fuel injected bikes mapped for Euro emission regs are snatchy and too eager to overrun fuel cut, the 907 had none of that; just butterly smooth.

One other favourite was an early RD350 LC, totally original and no Microns in sight.

ayceejay

Guru
Of interest may be 'Jupiters Travels' by Ted Simon who did a 4 years round trip of the world choosing a Triumph Tiger as his means of transport. His justification was how basic the Triumph was so it could be repaired by any mechanic from Jakarta to ....
Interestingly he did it again later (in his 70's) on a BMW. Harley's only get a passing mention.

Top Bottom