Harwich - Rail Replacement Buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im probably returning from Scandinavia by ferry to Harwich at the begining of July with bike fully laden

There would appear to be engineering works Harwich to Colchester on the Railway which would make the use of a replacement bus enroute to Liverpool Street necessary.

Does anyone know wether you can take bikes on replacement buses in this regoin (get out of jail clause is to cycle to Colchester but time constraints getting to home from London makes this undesirable)

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Almost certainly not. Aeons ago a railway parcels van would accompany the coach to deal with bikes, prams etc. Now the small print just says they're not conveyed.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have a plan B for you.

Take this from Harwich to Felixstowe http://www.harwichharbourferry.com/

And then take the train from Felixstowe to Ipswich (about 30 mins) and then from Ipswich to London Liverpool Street (departures every 15 mins on a weekday) or cycle from Felixstowe foot ferry to Ipswich railway station (about 16 miles) ;)

CycleTourer

Veteran
On a trip to Ipswich a couple of weekends ago there was a notice about some recent engineering works and it said that that the bus link would not take bikes. Whether that would be the case with the work on the Harwich line in July I wouldn't like to say. I would suggest that you contact National Express East Anglia to check.

If they won't take bikes, rather than go to Colchester which is 21 miles you could ride to Manningtree which is only 12 miles and catch a London train from there.

Personally I can't see why rail companies in this country say that they won't take bikes on buses put in place of rail services. Once in Finland and once in Ireland we have had to take coaches due to engineering works and there was no problem with the bikes going in the luggage space underneath.

Tony

This is relevant to me. Damn. I have taken bikes on rail-replacement buses in East Anglia before, but they were coaches and I sweet talked the driver.

Top Bottom