Has America ever won the

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Are you for real?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
why_so_serious_cat-12947.jpg

U

User169

User76 said:
Not quite so idiotic. Last time I looked, Israel wasn't in Europe.

It's nothing to do with Europe in the geographical sense.

Eligible participants for the Eurovision Song Contest include Active Members (as opposed to Associate Members) of the European Broadcasting Union. Active members are those whose states fall within the European Broadcasting Area, or otherwise those who are members of the Council of Europe.

The European Broadcasting Area is defined by the International Telecommunication Union:

"The "European Broadcasting Area" is bounded on the west by the western boundary of Region 1 (see below), on the east by the meridian 40° East of Greenwich and on the south by the parallel 30° North so as to include the western part of the USSR, the northern part of Saudi Arabia and that part of those countries bordering the Mediterranean within these limits. In addition, Iraq, Jordan and that part of the territory of Turkey lying outside the above limits are included in the European Broadcasting Area."

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
User76 said:
Not quite so idiotic. Last time I looked, Israel wasn't in Europe.

Neither's Turkey. No doubt we'll be enjoying the Libyan effort in a few years.

Greedo said:
Eurovision Song contest?????

:smile:

Katrina and the waves won in 1997 representing the UK (I had to google the year). I'm not sure about the band but I've worked with Katrina briefly and she definately sounded American. I also managed to take a small amount of hair off the back of her head with gaffer tape :biggrin:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Ghost Donkey said:
Katrina and the waves won in 1997 representing the UK (I had to google the year). I'm not sure about the band but I've worked with Katrina briefly and she definately sounded American. I also managed to take a small amount of hair off the back of her head with gaffer tape :troll:

I used to watch it for the scoring every year, and on this particular year, I was down in Cheshire and had been up for close to 40 hours, so I went to my bed in sunny Crewe and missed it all! :tongue:;)

Fantastic sleep though! (I remember this because it was my Birthday the next day).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Delftse Post said:
The European Broadcasting Area is defined by the International Telecommunication Union:

(snip)

In addition, Iraq, Jordan and that part of the territory of Turkey lying outside the above limits are included in the European Broadcasting Area."

Iraq??

Imagine if they won and the final the next year was held in Baghdad, I bet that'd be interesting to see!!

Just think, they might have to cut it short because of power cuts or people having to get home before the curfews came into force. What a shame.

Gina G came second one year representing the UK. She's Australian. I'm not a big eurovision fanatic, I just seem to remember this stuff :blush:e

Top Bottom