Has Anyone Completed Sustrans Route One

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow scot

Veteran
I cycled on Sustrans Route One yesterday from Scarborough to Whitby and back after the obligatory fish and chip lunch. Whilst I saw quite a few cyclists I didn't see anyone who looked like they were completing the whole route from Dover to the Shetland Isles. Contrast this with the Loire Valley where I was two weeks previously and where there were hundreds of through cyclists with panniers, trailers, kids, families etc.

Has anyone actually completed this route and what do they think of it. I did LEJOG a couple of years ago along the West Coast and thought this might be an interesting East Coast bottom to top variation?
Edinburgh up to Aberdeen and then on to J of G via Inverness and Dingwall is all in very good condition and almost totally on Tarmac. I've done it a few times and it's been mainly excellent cycling with just the odd bit of dirt path. Very touring bike friendly

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sustrans info on surface type is a major omission. Fortunately with OSM now allowing surface type to be recorded it is possible to find the rideable types. If you do not currently edit open street map I suggest you do. Just adding the surface type for traffic free sections is worth it for others.

Top Bottom