Has anyone done the 'extremes' of the UK mainland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
I'm merely curious and half-hatching a daft plan, but has anyone done the extreme points of the UK mainland in one go?

I'm assuming by road that would be:

South: Lizard Point
North: Dunnet Head
West: Ardnamurchan Lighhouse
East: Lowestoft

Tony.

Brains

Legendary Member
..... And as you be so close, stick in JoG and Lands End

I did all 6 a couple of years ago.
It only add around 1/3 more to the route.
I cycled Home -> LE -> 4 cardinals -> JoG -> north Shetland -> Home.
It was a good 4,000 mile tour which included using 23 ferries ........... ^_^

Edit:- I've done bits of the coast on my last two tours, I've never done all of it in one go.

robgul

Legendary Member
I'm merely curious and half-hatching a daft plan, but has anyone done the extreme points of the UK mainland in one go?

Tony.

There's also St David's Head in Wales - from there to Lowestoft is the furthest W-E without the trouble of having to go all the way to Scotland! (We rode this in 2006)

Rob

Fandango

I am cycling around the coast of the UK when I get a chance, and St. Davids is on my trip. I have been to Lowestoft, and I hope St. Davids is nicer.

Tony.

I did them as part of an E2E. Also combined them with other rides.

I have to agree with outlash. Ardnamurchan is stunning if you get a chance wild camp near the lighthouse and watch the sunset over the Hebrides.

subaqua

What’s the point
never done them as part of a cycling tour always been when on holiday etc. I did Dunnet and JoG on a trip to Scapa Flow , Ardnamurchan point on another dive trip. Lowestoft on a holiday to Gt Yarmouth and LE and Lizard multiple times on cornish holidays. I think its something to go on the bucket list however

Willie Erskine

Über Member
Did the 4 extremes of Scotland in 2011 in 3 days. 1200 miles from memory that's failing. Mull of Galloway, Peterhead, Dunnet Head and Ardnamurchan Point.
Aye ok, I was on a motorbike! Still a good trip and loads of cyclists out at Ardnamurchan enjoying a good spell of weather.

I've done them on two tours. LEJOG in 2007, including the Lizard and Dunnet Head, Lowestoft to Ardnamurch in 2011.
A chap I know, whom I didn't realise was a cyclist, did an entire coastal tour when he retired. His job was in Ports Training and he visited every port in Ekngalnd, Scotland and Wales. 6000 miles or so on a mid-range hybrid and with a small tent - Hilleberg Akto I think.

Edit: on reflection I don't think it was as far as that but it was still a bloody long way.

Top Bottom