Has anyone done the 'extremes' of the UK mainland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been looking for information about the Cardinal points of mainland Scotland for a bike ride this summer and stumbled across this forum. I don't think I'll manage it in three days as Willie did though. We are looking at a sedate 19 days. Had all but one accommodation booked then realised it might have been more sensible to do it clockwise so that the southerly bits were on the more protected east coast than the windy west. Bit late to change it now. Looks just over 2000km with 27000m ascent.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think Spurn Point has to be on that list or you have not fully completed the trip.

How you are supposed to get to Spurn Point is a bit of a mystery.

Steve

I've just finished my 19 day trip around the cardinal points of mainland Scotland. Ended up as 2068km of cycling and walking with 22290m of ascent. Details can be found at http://www.cairntoul.net/ENWS
A word of caution regarding Ardnamurchan as the most westerly point. The actual point is about a mile south of the lighthouse on some very nice grippy gabbro rock (see day 12 on my website).
Similar comments apply to the southernmost point which like Ardnamuchan is some way away from the headland with the lighthouse. There is Kennedy's cairn on the top of the slight hill west of the vistor centre that must be almost due north of the southerly point. The slopes above the cliffs here are also quite intimidating. A rope and a belayed assistant would be very useful here if you really wanted to go as far south as possible in Scotland.
The most northerly point appears to be immediately north of the fog horn at Dunnet head. It requires climbing over a couple of walls to get there. I guess I only made it to about a metre or so away from the point as the grass was wet and the cliff is perpendicular so you wouldn't want a slip there.
The easterly point is in an offshore oil yard in Peterhead that requires permission to enter. It's not a pretty sight or site.

One summer, when I'm old(er) and retarded retired, I'd like to do a LEJOG and visit London, Cardiff, Dublin, Belfast and Edinburgh, en route.

Ice2911

Über Member
I've just finished my 19 day trip around the cardinal points of mainland Scotland. Ended up as 2068km of cycling and walking with 22290m of ascent. Details can be found at http://www.cairntoul.net/ENWS
A word of caution regarding Ardnamurchan as the most westerly point. The actual point is about a mile south of the lighthouse on some very nice grippy gabbro rock (see day 12 on my website).
Similar comments apply to the southernmost point which like Ardnamuchan is some way away from the headland with the lighthouse. There is Kennedy's cairn on the top of the slight hill west of the vistor centre that must be almost due north of the southerly point. The slopes above the cliffs here are also quite intimidating. A rope and a belayed assistant would be very useful here if you really wanted to go as far south as possible in Scotland.
The most northerly point appears to be immediately north of the fog horn at Dunnet head. It requires climbing over a couple of walls to get there. I guess I only made it to about a metre or so away from the point as the grass was wet and the cliff is perpendicular so you wouldn't want a slip there.
The easterly point is in an offshore oil yard in Peterhead that requires permission to enter. It's not a pretty sight or site.
Just stumbled across this as it is in my mind for next year. The link no longer works and just wondered on the off chance if I can get some information, especially routes to help my planning. Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
Done Meriden Cross in Warwickshire and back. A nice long days ride to the middle of the England, although GPS has shown the actual centre is 11 miles to the North. Presumably Scotland and Wales have similar

Ice2911

Über Member
Read The Kingdom by the Sea by Paul Theroux then decide whether you still fancy it or not.
Thanks, just ordered it. Have read One man and his bike and currently reading Slow coast home, Jodie Dew. Just looking for my next challenge, getting itchy feet again.

This thread started in 2013 ............ :laugh:

I've now also a 5,500 mile tour which circumnavigated the UK.
I cycled to the King's Lynn and turned right. Followed the coast around until I got back to King's Lynn where I turned right for home.

Easy ............ ^_^

Top Bottom