Has anyone fitted a Hive heating thermostat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveF

Got British Gas to do mine, was included in the price, it didn't look easy when he was doing it. That said, anything beyond wiring a plug is a black art to me

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 5316185, member: 45"]It looks to be four wires -live, neutral, heating on, heating off- so I can't see what's complicated.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't sound right. Live, neutral and heating on/off should be 3 wires because there is unlikely to be separate signal wires to switch on and off? Having said that, I have never seen or fitted one so may be wide of the mark. I wonder what the 4th wire is?

bruce1530

Guru
Whether it’s “easy” and within your capabilities all depends what your capabilities and experience are! No insult intended - but unless you’re confident working with mains voltages I’d say get someone in. Also, think about the bit that says "Please remember that for your own safety Hive Active Heating should always be installed by a qualified professional.” and think about how that may impact your house insurance.

Having said all that....

Assuming it’s a combi boiler, you don’t have to worry about the hot water side, just the heating - a single channel controller. You join 2 terminals together, it comes on.

The manual above says that for a single channel controller, there are 6 terminals:

N: Permanent Neutral
L: Permanent Live
1: Common
2: Heating Off (NC)
3. Heating On (NO)
4. Unused

So there will be a changeover relay inside - when the heating is ON the “Normally Open (NO)” terminal is connected to Common.

So you run a 4 core +earth cable from boiler to time switch. The N and L get paralleled up with the incoming N and L feeds from the fused spur. That’s the permanent supply that powers the electronics.

You then find the 2 terminals on the boiler which are “join us to turn the boiler on” - they’ll probably be labelled “time switch” or something like that - and connect them to 1 (common) and 3 (Heating On - NO).

Disclaimer: the above is just the random thoughts of a bloke on the internet who you’ve never met, who’s qualifications you don’t know, and who has never seen your boiler. Treat it accordingly.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are quick Amazon are doing the heating/water version including British Gas installation for under £140. I am thinking of pulling the trigger myself.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 5316566, member: 45"]That's what got me ask the question.[/QUOTE]

I did my last thermostat and heating controller myself. It was a total pain figuring out the wires, for the sake of £40 I will let someone else do it next time, plus hopefully they can decommission the old controller.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Bitish Gaz did mine to replace the 10 old year one. It took him 10 minutes and all is well. Works better than the old one. Still cost me £149 though.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
With mine the BG engineer just un clipped the old controller from the backplate and clipped in a Hive dual channel receiver without any re-wiring.

Top Bottom