Has anyone here had appendicitis?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
If so, I'd be interested to learn how it presented.

This afternoon my wife had symptoms which prompted a call to the doctor, who wants her to come in today - which we're doing. Given that they don't want anyone near the surgery if at all possible, this is mildly alarming. She's not in pain at the moment, else I wouldn't be posting.

Sharky

Guru
Last year I had severe pains in my side and thought it was appendicitis. When I eventually got seen at A&E, they diagnosed it as a kidney stone. Was agony for a few weeks.

Hope your wife doesn't have appendicitis or a kidney stone.

tom73

Guru
They will want to see if she is showing signs of "guarding" or "rebounding" when they exam her.
Which will soon rule one in or out.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Last year I had severe pains in my side and thought it was appendicitis. When I eventually got seen at A&E, they diagnosed it as a kidney stone. Was agony for a few weeks.
I passed a kidney stone one night when I was in my late teens. I peed blood and then got those pains. It was the most excruciating pain that I have ever experienced. I was bucketing sweat and had to bite down on a piece of wood to avoid screaming and waking up my family. Fortunately, it only lasted for 4 or 5 hours!

I had it when I was 17. Years later I diagnosed a friend's! Probably complete luck, but the symptoms are quite different to typical stomach pains. It will become VERY painful, at which stage you need to be pretty near a hospital; when/if they explode it can be very nasty, even fatal for some.

It's a very localized pain - ideally find someone with an appendectomy scar, or find a picture of one. I don't recall any other symptoms.
I AM NOT A DOCTOR!

Best way to describe it when I had it, it felt like I`d been kicked by a horse in my lower right stomach area. I tried to put it off thinking that it was bad stomach ache but then I had had it off and on for a few days.

Stomach pain in lower right side of stomach area, almost groin.

This was many, many years ago when I was a child, Dr visited, sent to hospital and it was removed. I mention this because as an amusing aside, it was presented to me in a surgical jar which I donated to the science lab of the school I was then attending!!

Best wishes to your blueberry muffin wife and hope it gets treated quickly.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
It wasn’t appendicitis.

Thanks for posting about your experiences. Although we were well aware of the typical symptoms, having addressed Dr Google aprox. .025 seconds after the terrible pain started, as with many other conditions <cough cough corona> it’s possible this particularly useless organ may find different ways of telling you that it’s deeply unhappy… Though it’s true, most cases appear to stick to a standard script.

On an even more personal note, were I to require emergency abdominal surgery, someone had better tell the surgeon that I have intestinal malrotation, i.e. my guts aren’t all where they’re supposed to be – a rare thing to discover in an adult.

it was presented to me in a surgical jar which I donated to the science lab of the school I was then attending!!
Have they expressed an interest in any other organs from their generous alumnus?

gAWATGH.jpg

At least they got my good side

Drago

Legendary Member
Never had it myself. However, not long after I'd made sergeant one of my female staff complained of feeling a bit icky, then a few hours later right out the blue she collapsed with severe pain very low on the right. Just light that - felt a bit unwell then BANG, agonising pain. We called ambo, and I guessed with was appendicitis and was very pleased with myself when that's what it turned out to be.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I had to have my appendix removed a few years ago... started with feeling sick, then dull achey pain which slowly got worse and increased off the scale when I pressed on it... don't remember anything clearly after that!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had my appendix removed at age 15, and my tonsils removed at age 7. Is there anything else I don't really need? It would really help my power to weight ratio when cycling.

Top Bottom