Has anyone here had appendicitis?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had mine out 25 years ago, they thought it was a large, cancerous growth and did about an 8" incision up my stomach. It was quite a relief to wake up and be told it was just the largest swollen appendix they'd ever seen.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I had my appendix removed at age 15, and my tonsils removed at age 7. Is there anything else I don't really need? It would really help my power to weight ratio when cycling.
Circumcising?

Jody

Stubborn git
it’s possible this particularly useless organ may find different ways of telling you that it’s deeply unhappy… Though it’s true, most cases appear to stick to a standard script.

Had mine removed in January. It had been an ongoing issue for a quite a few years but the doctors couldn't pin point it as it didn't follow the usual script. I knew it was my appendix but it's difficult to argue with a trained professional.

The surgeon who removed it said it looked quite nasty and surprised it hadn't caused any issues before :rolleyes:

42 hours without food or water whilst waiting for emergency surgery or so they said, 12 of which I had no bed just a chair in the waiting room (not A&E) three bed a ward changes in one day then finally the op at about 1am I was discharged at midday the same day with a bag of codeine.

What I observed in that time was the overly free handing out of morphine to anyone and offering it to pretty much everyone as a first option.

Ohh morphine... :laugh:

When I arrived at the surgical unit about 5pm this lady waiting kept asking for more and more codeine until she maxed out what she could have, but oh no that didn’t stop her, she switched to morphine until that too maxed out and then get this she left saying she’d be back in the morning for her op as her daughter lives across the road. You could not make it up.

Friday night in Swindon who knew

classic33

Leg End Member
When I arrived at the surgical unit about 5pm this lady waiting kept asking for more and more codeine until she maxed out what she could have, but oh no that didn’t stop her, she switched to morphine until that too maxed out and then get this she left saying she’d be back in the morning for her op as her daughter lives across the road. You could not make it up.

Friday night in Swindon who knew
It's only Thursday night up here!

Jody

Stubborn git
Had mine removed Sunday just gone, don’t recommend it, it bloody hurts

It's definitely painful and then the sore abs after. Takes a few weeks for that to settle.

I was impressed where they remove the drain pipe and it didn't need stitching. A couple of days later and you couldn't see any incision marks.

Ohh morphine... :laugh:

Top stuff. Took as much as I could :laugh:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Top stuff. Took as much as I could :laugh:

I suspect they were dishing it out in ITB's case as it has a 'calming effect' - especially if there are bed shortages and stressed staff trying to attend to all the patients. I 'lost' about 3 weeks of my 6 1/2 week hospital stay to morphine - just kept passing out mid sentance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i seem to have picked up a cold which is my first in 5+ years and its flooring me, i'm so tired i dont remember if thats a normal thing but god damn i'm tired and sneezing is agony.
I was going to tell you a great joke to cheer you up, but laughing might hurt more than sneezing... :whistle:

I hope it stops hurting soon!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Might have posted this previously, it happened about 3 years ago.

I knew a 10 yr old kid (not one of mine) who feigned abdominal pain as a means of getting out of school.
The GP didn't take any chances, and sent him straight to A&E with suspected appendicitis. A&E booked a theatre for an emergency appendectomy.

It was only when consent forms and a surgical gown were provided that the rather scared lad whispered to his mum "I was only pretending"

That wasn't the end of it. The doctors thought he might be saying that just through fear of surgery. They couldn't be sure if his appendix had just ruptured or not, so he was kept in all day for bloods and other observations, and they only let him go home that evening on the strict condition that he return the next morning for a further assessment.

I can only imagine how relieved, mortified and utterly furious his parents must have been. He's probably still grounded now.

Top Bottom