Has Anyone Swapped their British Passport for a European One?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
if applying by grandparent born in Ireland do you need both the birth and marriage certificates?

I should add i'm not applying because of brexit but because my third child has no option to be an EU citizen otherwise, my other two children grew up in Spain and have an Irish mother so double win for them.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
if applying by grandparent born in Ireland do you need both the birth and marriage certificates?

Yes, birth, marriage and death (if applicable).

See https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Both Ireland and Britain allow dual nationality so you can have both.
As I understand it anyone born in Ireland before 1949 can have a British or Irish passport. Up until then the British monarch was still the executive authority in Ireland, though it had been granted independent status before then, rather like Australia. Ireland became a republic in 1949 when it truly became a nation state in it's own right.

Born in 1952, I can only get an Irish passport, not a British one.

glasgowcyclist

ta i really should sort it out i've had my grandads death certificate for about 10 years meaning to apply

For the identity documents that you will need certified copies of, I recommend using the Post Office rather than going to a notary public. The PO will certify up to three documents for £12.50, a NP will take one of your kidneys.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Both parents Irish , I was the first of our family born outside of Ireland (England).
I have an Irish passport but I did before Brexit , I go over at least 3 times a year as most of my extended family still stay there
But you don’t need a passport to go to Ireland as your post infers .. I’m in Belfast 2-3 times a month as i support NI Railways ... God, i miss FlyBe ... lol

But bottom line ... No, i haven’t swapped my British passport for a European one ... Proud to be British ... and hold that as my only passport ... and always will.

vickster

Legendary Member
But isn’t Belfast the capital of NI which is actually (still at least) part of GB & NI and not the Republic of Ireland...hence why would you need an Irish Passport to enter (or indeed a British passport, other than as a form of ID?):scratch:
Are you muddling Belfast with Dublin? :scratch:

But you don’t need a passport to go to Ireland as your post infers .. I’m in Belfast 2-3 times a month as i support NI Railways ... God, i miss FlyBe ... lol

But bottom line ... No, i haven’t swapped my British passport for a European one ... Proud to be British ... and hold that as my only passport ... and always will.
[/QUOTE]
I inferred nothing I just said I had an Irish passport

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It might interest some of you to know since 1 January 2005, if you are born in Northern Ireland you can claim Irish Citizenship if your parent (or parents) are either British or Irish Citizens, or one of them has lived on the island of Ireland for at least 3 out of the 4 years immediately before your birth.

Mr Celine

Discordian
That's the point. As far as I understand it, if you have both, you must enter the ROI/EU as an ROI/EU citizen, and the UK as a UK citizen. This shouldn't cause any trouble, especially as I don't think the UK is particularly interested in other nationalities, so they may not ever realise. If you enter as a non-citizen you'll probably be entered on the database of foreign nationals in the country and need a visa which makes life comlicated when you subsequently stay.
UK and Ireland are a 'common travel area'. Ireland is not part of Schengen. So you can enter UK just as easily with an Irish passport as with a UK one.

glasgowcyclist

You don’t need to ‘claim’ citizenship, it’s automatic:

“Born outside Ireland?
You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth and was born on the island of Ireland. You don’t need to apply to become an Irish citizen in this case.”
https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/

Anyone born on the island (before 2005) is an Irish citizen and can apply for a passport without apply for citizenship separately.

classic33

Leg End Member
You don’t need to ‘claim’ citizenship, it’s automatic:

“Born outside Ireland?
You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth and was born on the island of Ireland. You don’t need to apply to become an Irish citizen in this case.”
https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/

Anyone born on the island (before 2005) is an Irish citizen and can apply for a passport without apply for citizenship separately.
But not after the 1st January 2005.

Top Bottom