Has Anyone Swapped their British Passport for a European One?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You don’t need to ‘claim’ citizenship, it’s automatic:

“Born outside Ireland?
You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth and was born on the island of Ireland. You don’t need to apply to become an Irish citizen in this case.”
https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/

Anyone born on the island (before 2005) is an Irish citizen and can apply for a passport without apply for citizenship separately.

This was the route that I went down. Both parents born on the Island of Ireland made me automatically an Irish citizen. I simply applied for my Irish passport.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I have dual nationality. Irish is one of them. Got my Irish passport about 3 years ago now. I am not a British citizen and never have been. It comes in handy if identity is needed
I always thought Welsh Dragons were automatically British citizens. :scratch:

The main benefit of having multiple passports (for me at least) is i can have 1 "clean" and one dirty ie some countries i visit wouldn't let me in if they knew where i'd been and so having 2 or more helps, also visa applications can take 1 week or so at times and again having one in for a visa and then still being able to travel is helpful.

Having more though does cost more and means more applications/renewels.

The main benefit of having multiple passports (for me at least) is i can have 1 "clean" and one dirty ie some countries i visit wouldn't let me in if they knew where i'd been and so having 2 or more helps, also visa applications can take 1 week or so at times and again having one in for a visa and then still being able to travel is helpful.

Having more though does cost more and means more applications/renewels.
You can apply for a second passport and actually have 2 passport eligible passports at the same time. It is given if you can get a letter from your workplace or if you run your own business. Those covering the middle east market know this. As you mentioned some countries consular units take ages to stamp your visa on the passport so the second passport allows you travel.

Israel on request will not stamp your passport. They will give you a piece for slip.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My mum was born in Belfast and her parents were born before the partition. I suppose I could apply for an Irish passport, but I am not going to. I am looking forward to getting a blue British passport. Not that I'd use it much. I've been abroad and it's rubbish.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've come to this late - Son no. 2 has both Irish/British passports and son no. 1's eligible but just has an Irish passport due to the photo being rejected :wacko: due to SWMBO being Irish. And she's only got an Irish passport.

Getting through borders with all 4 of us should be interesting as I'm the only one with just a British passport. I was eligible through residency when living in Northern Ireland, but am no longer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom