Has anyone toured around the war graves in France?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
Next year I have decided me and my 10 year old are going to go out to France for armistice day. Be out there a couple of days before and take in as many as possible in the two days running up to armistice day itself. However I have no idea where to start. Any ideas on a town that we could use as a base somewhere within 20 miles of as many memorials as possible.

Thanks again

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You could try Ypres which is not too far to ride assuming you get the ferry to Dunkirk for your start. A visit to some of the beaches on your first or last day is also worth it.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
We stopped for a night this year in Bayeux on the way back to Calais. The Commonwealth War Graves were an eye opener for me, having never visited before. Lots of smaller ones around too.
We camped and used the van as we only had a couple of hours.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
tlh has a great uncle buried in Poperinge. Regular soldier in the Monmouthshire Yeomanry. From a hamlet in mid-Wales. In Egypt when was was declared, shipped to France in September 14, died of wounds November '14. What a waste.

Salar

A fish out of water
Did it a good few years ago.

Toured around Bayeux and the beaches, Caen, Rouen and south into "Little Switzerland" and the Normandy National Park, where I got lost in the forests :blush:

Had a great time and the locals, particularly in the countryside and in the roadside bars were extremely friendly and helpful.

StuartG

slower but further
Accommodation is difficult and expensive in Ypres at any time. Next November is probably already much booked out by the Tour companies. Poperinge I have used in the past but doesn't have much so would probably be a no-no.

First you need to concentrate on just a few of the many memorials. Otherwise you will just be overwhelmed , confused and not really get to grips with what really happened. I would put Vimy Ridge at the top of my list - but as the last place to visit. It's different (Canadian) and a contrast to the British. I thought it actually uplifting. Be sure to visit the nearby small German cemetery. If you are Jewish or not - it may well surprise you.

Arras is a good centre. It has one of most beautiful and smaller graveyards. Yes beauty and horror become strange bedfellows. You could take in Thiepal too. Other highlights were where they exploded the mines and the adjoining trenches where Hitler served.

Remember it is November and the weather could be diabolical and is open country with nothing between you and the Urals. I would contingence train assistance to your routes. I have found French regional trains to be very cycle friendly. Bikes travel free. Belgian trains charge about 6 euro.

Trains are ok for small groups. Don't rely on them for larger groups.

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
As an addendum as it is the Armistace centenary I wouldn't bother with the clearing near Compeigne where Marshall Foch signed it. There is no railway carriage (it was burned in case anybody else used it as Hitler did to revenge and humiliate France). Bit underwhelming.

But on that day I'm guessing there will be very emotional ceremonies at every French and Belgian village and town memorial. Probably more moving and accessible than the big ticket events designed for the cameras and politicians.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Thanks for all the advice, on rethinking I may go earlier in the year maybe July August time instead. I think it will be ypres but I'm still not decided.

Thanks again

Firestorm

Veteran
We stay at a place in Kortemark.
De Hobbitsee.
Close to Diksmude and the peace museum and a preserved trench system
Not too far from ypres and a number of commonwealth. German and belgian cemereries.
Also there is a cycle way from Disksmude to the cpast whoch was the ols front line after the belgians flooded the area to prevwnt the advance in northern flanders

Somerset

I did both the WW 1 & 2 War grave sites cycle camping with my 10 - 12 yr old grandson. Both are great experiences and are doable. We caught a ferry over and back twice and once flew to La Rochelle and cycled back via the WW2 sites. My wife dropped us at ferry ports and picked us up as we are only an hour or so away, no doubt you could get a train. You may well be struggling even to find camping space a Ypres next year so be careful, we went there in 2014 and it was heaving. Cycling around Ypres is really easy with lots of sites but I did find the graves did just get overwhelming for him. For one day we went to Brussels by train to give grandson a break. The Normandy beaches would be my recommendation, easy cycling, lots of campsites, lots of sites to see (USA graves and museum, Omaha beach, Sword beach, commonwealth graves, Peguses bridge etc) just a bit more variety than Ypres. Both are really good and the logistics might be the deciding factor.

Top Bottom