Has ColinJ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ColinJ said:
If you can stomach it (*groan*) you only have to follow the link in my signature to find out! Warning - it isn't a pretty sight...! ;)

Well, it's getting better, that's what matters...:ohmy: Anyway, I've seen 'worse'.

(I'm not used to the way blogs update up the page, not down. Skimming, I thought at first you were showing how you were putting on the cms...)

I'm trying to lose a bit. Not in a very focussed way, but just now I'm in a routine that involves cycling every day (as opposed to working from home and not getting out), and I'm trying to cut out a bit of the snacking. I think it's making a very slow difference....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
andy_wrx said:
Is the technical term collywobbles ? :ohmy:
I'm never going to live this down am I...? There was me thinking that at last I was developing a fan club of my own! ;)

andy_wrx said:
Have you told them what your email address is Col ?
Oh no, thanks Andy - I completely forgot!

Ardent fans should write to flabbyhairybeerbelly@youdontwannagothere.com - I promise to ignore all messages!

papercorn2000

yenrod said:
Oh come on Rich - lets see if you can look as cool as Colin here.

Nil marks for bringing sexuality into it.

Cool doesnt include sexuality.

PHE1078.jpg

Wow, is that you Yenrod?
If so, you are an F.O.X.!

ColinJ

Arch said:
(I'm not used to the way blogs update up the page, not down. Skimming, I thought at first you were showing how you were putting on the cms...)
Yes, that does take a bit of getting used to but I think it makes sense. Blog posts are not like posts in a forum thread in that they generally don't relate to each other from day to day so it makes sense for the latest ones to be most prominent. It might be interesting to be able to display related posts (such as those in the 'progress-report category' that I linked to) in chronological order, but that would probably confuse experienced bloggers. There might be an option for that somewhere, I'll have to have a look.

Arch said:
I'm trying to lose a bit. Not in a very focussed way, but just now I'm in a routine that involves cycling every day (as opposed to working from home and not getting out), and I'm trying to cut out a bit of the snacking. I think it's making a very slow difference....
Slow and steady - that's the way to do it! Weight lost that way tends to stay off. Rapid loss usually leads to rapid regain - 'yo-yo' dieting.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ColinJ said:
Slow and steady - that's the way to do it! Weight lost that way tends to stay off. Rapid loss usually leads to rapid regain - 'yo-yo' dieting.

Yeah, the yo-yo diet, I put on 8 stone and collected enough green tin foil to paper my flat...;)

I think I'm a bit too slow, myself, but like you say, there's no point going for a regime that you can't keep up...

It's portion control I struggle with, especially stuff like spaghetti and rice. I do little stuff like opting for the tuna that comes in 185g tins, not 200g, because I know I use half a tin per dinner portion, no matter what size the tin....

And of course, comfort eating is my main demon. Some people loss wieght under stress, I never do....

ColinJ

Arch said:
It's portion control I struggle with, especially stuff like spaghetti and rice. I do little stuff like opting for the tuna that comes in 185g tins, not 200g, because I know I use half a tin per dinner portion, no matter what size the tin....
I've just started doing the half-a-tin thing. Not for tuna though - I always eat a full tin but it's good stuff so that's okay. I always buy tuna-in-brine because it's got far less fat/calories than tuna-in-oil.

I buy baked beans in the 415 g tins because the smaller tins are very expensive by comparison, but I now save half a tin for another time (in a sealed jar - it's not good to keep things in opened tins). I got a bit distracted last night and ate a whole tin without thinking about it!

I've been using a measuring scoop for things like cous-cous and rice to exactly control how much I cook, but I've realised that it is too big (250 mL). My next smaller one is 125 mL which is a bit small for me so I need to find something which holds about 175 mL. That would be a good reduction. I'd have thought that 100-125 mL would be a good portion for you.

Arch said:
And of course, comfort eating is my main demon. Some people loss wieght under stress, I never do....
I've gone both ways on that! Stress really disrupts my lifestyle and I either end up eating far too much or far too little.

The first time that I got fat, it was through stress-induced snacking. I eventually got the food intake under control, but I was still drinking too much beer and that has been the cause of another two or three periods of fatness.

I'm now rationing my beer intake to a healthier level, but I'm so used to drinking beer when watching TV late at night that I start getting restless without a glass in my hand. I now drink a rather tasty alcohol-free substitute - I squeeze a lime and half a lemon into a large jug. I add a couple of tablespoons of concentrated ginger 'syrup', and about 250 mL of orange juice and top that up with about 1.5 litres of water and a couple of trays of ice cubes. Mmmm! That's probably equivalent to just one beer in calories (about 150), but much healthier.

I think being slightly dehydrated can you make think that you are hungry, so keeping yourself well topped up with low calorie drinks (ideally just plain water) is a good way of avoiding the munchies.

Make sure that you have only healthy things to snack on! If I had biscuits or cake in the house, I Know that I'd end up nibbling away at them so I never buy them. I always have a container filled with mixed nuts, seeds and dried fruit for those times when I really do want to eat something between meals. Okay, there are quite a few calories in nuts and seeds, but they are full of goodness, and I find them quite filling so I only eat a small portion at one time. I have a couple of fruit bowls which are always stocked up with apples, bananas etc. I make sure that I have 2 or 3 items of fruit a day between meals.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've become a master (mistress? no, I think not) of using half tins. I get into a routine. A tin of tuna does for two meals, a tin of tomatoes for three (and a tin of beans for two). An average onion is good for 2 or 3 goes, a big red pepper for 3 or 4. In a good week, I start with a clear fridge (I mean it just has staples like milk, cheese, salad in it), hit a peak of tupperwares-filled-with-half-things midweek, and am back to clear by the end of the week...

It's partly portion control and partly economy, of course. I do measure rice out (I have a little clear plastic measuring jug, and yes, I do about 100ml) but I rely on eye to judge spaghetti, and sometimes I over estimate.

Your measuring scoops sound like one of those puzzles, where you have 2 jugs and have to measure out a set amount of liquid....:ohmy:

I fall down on the healthy snacking. I'm not all that fond of fruit, and I tend to like nuts only if they are salted and roasted. Again, I've tried to minimise - I used to buy things like kitkats, now I get a pack of choc digestives, and only have one of those at a time (I assume that's less calories than a 2 finger kitkat?). Next step will be to go for un-choc digestives, perhaps.

I drink so infrequently these days, it would be hard to cut that down!

gbb

Legendary Member
If its any use to you guys, heres how my wife lost 5 or 6 stone in 9 months...and she's really quite stable now

Portion control (as you put it Arch)...she found that hard, with a capital H.
Better quality food...nothing processed.
Watching the calories..i became her second pair of eyes..i know more about calories than i ever did.
Plenty of fruit to snack on (maybe not much good to you Arch :wacko:)
Lots of Dancercise videos (not much good to you Col..i assume ;))
Lots of Wii fit stuff..the stepping game is quite intensive and addictive)
Powerwalking (or something like it) whenever possible.

But, because it was sooo hard at first, we took to eating reasonably normally at the weekends, sensible portions, but not worrying about the calories too much.

Bugger, i sympathise.....its hard work.

tyred

Legendary Member
gbb said:

I think this is something people over look. We all tend to eat too much processed food these days. Some so called low fat products can be very high in sugar and sugar and salt are added in large quantitiies to many things we wouldn't even suspect.

Arch

Married to Night Train
gbb said:

I generally do quite well on this, I cook from scratch pretty much all the time - sometimes that will involve canned meatballs, or corned beef, admittedly.

I guess exercise is the thing I need to increase. Working from home most days, I tend not to go out, or only to walk a short distance to the department - one day a week I cycle to work, a mile or so, if that. And within the flat, I'm only a few steps from anywhere! I always think it'll improve as the weather gets better and I feel more like going out for the sake of it, but that doesn't always happen.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I generally do quite well on this, I cook from scratch pretty much all the time - sometimes that will involve canned meatballs, or corned beef, admittedly.

I guess exercise is the thing I need to increase. Working from home most days, I tend not to go out, or only to walk a short distance to the department - one day a week I cycle to work, a mile or so, if that. And within the flat, I'm only a few steps from anywhere! I always think it'll improve as the weather gets better and I feel more like going out for the sake of it, but that doesn't always happen.

Uncle Phil has plans for a CC bike ride starting from York some time soon so you'll have no excuse!

Calum

I've put on quite a lot of weight since starting university last September, mainly due to square meals and 100 miles a week being replaced by Kebabs and 7 hour drinking sessions. Hardly rocket science!
Slowly starting to get back into shape again though, thanks to cutting down the vast amounts of processed foods and sugar i've been eating. Plus hitting the gym a few times a week and/or going out on the bike. The cold's kept my cycling miles lower than I would have hoped though. Agh well, spring's just round the corner!

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
Uncle Phil has plans for a CC bike ride starting from York some time soon so you'll have no excuse!

Oh, cool! Is that listed in Rides? I don't tend to look in there all that often. keep me posted...

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Oh, cool! Is that listed in Rides? I don't tend to look in there all that often. keep me posted...

He's on hols at the moment so hasn't advertised it yet. The plan is to go to Byland Abbey and back, with the option of cutting it short at Easingwold. I'll keep you posted.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Calum said:
I've put on quite a lot of weight since starting university last September, mainly due to square meals and 100 miles a week being replaced by Kebabs and 7 hour drinking sessions. Hardly rocket science!
Slowly starting to get back into shape again though, thanks to cutting down the vast amounts of processed foods and sugar i've been eating. Plus hitting the gym a few times a week and/or going out on the bike. The cold's kept my cycling miles lower than I would have hoped though. Agh well, spring's just round the corner!

I reckon I put on nearly a stone and a half in my first term at university through eating too much junk and drinking. I've never really lost it again so best to keep it in check now Calum.

Top Bottom