Has cycling changed the way you drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'm more militant towards bad/anti-social driving as well.

I've seen someone's car parked across an entire pavement and forcing a woman with a pushchair to go out into a busy 40mph road I asked them move it.
I saw a woman parked completely on the pavement *both wheels on a hospital site (with a carpark with many empty spaces literally 1 minutes walk away) people in wheelchairs had no choice but to go into the road, I went and stood and read a book in front of her car when she came out (there was another vehicle parked half on the road blocking her from going backwards)

Some people are SO ignorant in their car and other drivers let them get away with it, well i'm not a driver so I'm not in the club, however anyone who's courteous gets many thanks from me.

I also laugh at the way car drivers waste energy, accelerating to red lights etc they wouldnt be doing that if it was coming out of their legs.
Good point, and having just been out in the car I realise I drive much more like I cycle now, its about more anticipation. Slow down approaching red lights to try and arrive at it as it changes to avoid unclipping, in the car take foot off accelerator and roll up to them, even freewheeling sometimes. Cycling has taught me how to drive economically :angel:

buttonnine

Damn good thread but I put this too you, I'm now inpatient with other car drivers when out on my cycle cos they cant get across a roundabout or out of a junction in the gaps that I see as a car driver but I'm the one on my bike, tickles me and infuriates me at the same time, oh and I do like a pootle now and again.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
cycling has made me more fuel efficient; knowing where you don't need as much gas for going downhill, to knowing exactly where to floor it for most efficient hill climbing.

comes from experience in the hills on a bike…

camperdown9

Hi

I didn't learn to drive until I was 38. I have never really liked driving and from time to time I have got really stressed about driving. (put it another way I hated it)
I have only been cycling (regularly) for 4 weeks so I guess I'm not qualified to comment, but the other day I had to drive. I drove under the speed limit, I felt relaxed and I think I drove better. Not sure if thats linked to cycling or not.

What I have also noticed is that now that I drive I don't worry so much about traffic when I am cycling. 20 years ago I remember being terrified cycling on the road.

Alex

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
On occasions when I have not driven for a week or so, I can sometimes find it harder to drive to a standard I am happy with unless I make a special effort. So I would sometimes say that cycling has made me a worse driver.

Top Bottom