Has the YHA gone bonkers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The YHA some time ago, I and many others thought, illegally, changed its charitable purposes, and started closing remote rural hostels and aiming for a more urban market. We tried to stop them, and have a debate, but they bulldozed all opposition. That's when I left.

It is far, far from what it used to be. The sad thing is that what is used to be is exactly what people need now.

It's a prime example of what moving from a social model to a market model does to what was once a rather brilliant institution.

andym

Über Member
It's a prime example of what moving from a social model to a market model does to what was once a rather brilliant institution.

But isn't the problem for organisations like the YHA that they *do* operate in the market - if people don't pay to become members or pay to stay then they can't pay their bills?

(i'm strictly a disinterested observer - YHA member but that's it).

hubbike

The YHA some time ago, I and many others thought, illegally, changed its charitable purposes, and started closing remote rural hostels and aiming for a more urban market. We tried to stop them, and have a debate, but they bulldozed all opposition. That's when I left.

It is far, far from what it used to be. The sad thing is that what is used to be is exactly what people need now.

http://www.yha.org.uk/about-yha/corporate-information/how_we_operate.aspx

YHA is still a charity, with the following aim:

“To help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, and appreciation of the cultural values of towns and cities, particularly by providing youth hostels or other accommodation for them in their travels, and thus to promote their health recreation and education.”

I think it is worth noting that the youth hostel's origins were in school groups. Hikers and cyclists came later and forced it to change focus (dropping the chores, etc.)

I fear that modernisations to youth hostels make the job of helping people experience the countryside harder rather than easier.

But isn't the problem for organisations like the YHA that they *do* operate in the market - if people don't pay to become members or pay to stay then they can't pay their bills?

The YHA went through a crisis several years ago that is not unlike that of the village shop/supermarket debate. Everyone wanted the Youth Hostels but not enough of them were actually using most of them to make them viable. In the Use It or Lose It battle the old Youth Hostels were largely lost.

But if folks want to object to day membership, I can remember the kerfuffle when they removed the requirement you had to arrive under your own power and allowed you to drive and park there instead. In reality its all just part of their evolution in a changing market.

I think it is worth noting that the youth hostel's origins were in school groups. Hikers and cyclists came later and forced it to change focus (dropping the chores, etc.)

I can remember the days when everyone was expected to pitch in to do the washing up, sweep out the hostel and empty the wastebins.

http://www.yha.org.u...we_operate.aspx

“To help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, and appreciation of the cultural values of towns and cities, particularly by providing youth hostels or other accommodation for them in their travels, and thus to promote their health recreation and education.”

I fear that modernisations to youth hostels make the job of helping people experience the countryside harder rather than easier.

When I was a lad, the hostels were used mostly by peeps from 14 yo upwards to late teens(70+) very raraly did you see school parties, it was a different world in the fifties, and few schools run field trips. I like most of my elk never had a problem with the chores it was part of the experiance. However, once School parties found out about school field trips the rot set in, simple hostels were closed and sold to raise money to improve or buy more suitable premises able to cope with a influx of school children. then after a few years as the panic set in that saw all single males as perverts the hostels started to inforce group only access. which has defeated the original principle of the YHA.

These day I would still prefer to use the YH's but as B&B can cost but a few more pounds more that the Hostels I stay in B&B's
Bob G.

Tasker

(Nowadays) They're a joke - and more seriously, a nasty, increasingly expensive scam. Full of little chavs that couldn't give the proverbial "Tinkers Cuss" about the countryside except where the nearest pub doing Stella is.

As far as I'm concerned they can stuff their 'catering to a changing market' if this is the result. I'm no longer a member of this ghastly enemy to everything the original ethos was all about, which is so sad as there's such a renewed interest of decent, normal people desperate to jump off the merry go round of urban life if only for a few days.

Find your nearest Travelodge if you'd like a decent, modestly priced place to stay.

Jezston

Über Member
When I did my coast to coast a few weeks back I mostly stayed in B&Bs because they were often CHEAPER than the nearest YHA. £30 for a bed in a dorm where I have to make my own beds etc, plus a fiver for breakfast, when for the same price or less I could get my own room with a comfy bed, bathroom breakfast included made sense.

The only YHA I stayed in was Osmotherley because I couldn't get a B&B. There was approx 4 other people staying there at the same time - had a whole dorm to myself. Apparently they are closing it down soon.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I can remember the days when everyone was expected to pitch in to do the washing up, sweep out the hostel and empty the wastebins.
still the case in one hostel in Scotland!

back in the seventies we discovered Spain. Young people didn't want to go youth-hostelling. The car thing wasn't so much a change of mission, but, rather, an attempt to bring in more people.

From that point on the YHA has been stuck between a rock and a hard place. There was dreadful financial mismanagement by the 'professionals' and foot and mouth hit them even harder than it hit the CTC, but the basic problem is that not a lot of people want to sleep in dorms.

andym

Über Member
Can anyone give the actual facts behind the allegations about bans on single men? I can understand the YHA not being keen on putting middle-aged men in dorms with teenagers (and in all honesty who in their right mind would want to share with schoolkids? No offence to any teenagers reading this, but you wouldn't invite your Grandad to a sleepover). I've stayed at YHAs that have had school parties in.

(Nowadays) They're a joke - and more seriously, a nasty, increasingly expensive scam. Full of little chavs that couldn't give the proverbial "Tinkers Cuss" about the countryside except where the nearest pub doing Stella is.

As far as I'm concerned they can stuff their 'catering to a changing market' if this is the result. I'm no longer a member of this ghastly enemy to everything the original ethos was all about, which is so sad as there's such a renewed interest of decent, normal people desperate to jump off the merry go round of urban life if only for a few days.

Find your nearest Travelodge if you'd like a decent, modestly priced place to stay.

Hmm. And the original ethos presumably had nothing to do with tolerance and respect for people of different backgrounds? Or giving young urban working-class people the chance to get into into the countryside?

And the OP had to change the dates of his tour - which presumably means there wasn't a cheap Travelodge just waiting with a Bargainacious room.

andym

Über Member

It's interesting to compare this with the otiginal:

“To help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing hostels or other simple accommodation for them in their travels, and thus to promote their health, rest and education.”

The wikipedia article on the YHA is interesting and worth a read.

Bodhbh

Guru

At risk of being trolled. A bit strong. I must admit, I tend to mainly use them for in overnight stops in towns/citys, not so much the rural ones. But if anything, they're a bit staid compared to the independent hostels. They are hardly dens of iniquity - they price out the party crowd for a start. When I have used them in rural locations, I've not found them much different. I think you're more likely to get ran over by one of the 4x4 cluttering up the drive, than savaged by hopped up chavs.

Brandane

Legendary Member
travelodge?

Seriously people, have none of you heard of a TENT before?

Been there and done that, very recently. Carried my light-ish tent on the bike, along with the necessary sleeping bag, and self inflating thermarest mattress. So as light as possible, but still a hell of a difference when pulling it over a couple of days and 120 miles.

Then there was the camping experience. Put up tent while being attacked by midges. No entertainment for miles around (remote camp site) so early night. Uncomfortable sleep, until the sun came up about 4.30 am and that was end of sleep. Get up for a pee, and try to find a spot where I won't be seen (toilet block miles away). Watch condensation drip off roof of tent for a few hours, then get up. Queue up for awful shower. Take tent down while being attacked by midges again. Roll up soggy tent (condensation inside, dew outside) and pack it onto bike. Have greasy breakfast at site cafe, pay £6 for it. Pay site office £10 for my square of grass for the night. So £16 for "bed" and breakfast. A tenner more and I could have been in relative luxury.

NEVER; EVER, again!! (and that was without any bad weather).

Top Bottom