Has the YHA gone bonkers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think there are any YHAs that charge any where as little as that.

That's not too bad all things considered. Dorm beds have not gone up so much, though it depends where you go but I remember it costing me £9 or £10 a night in 1993, so nearly 20 years later, it's gone up a fiver. The trouble is there are less dorm beds. Anyway, inspired by this thread I have planned a family week away in the Hebrides, not yet booked but soon will be. For the four of us a room is £80 to £70 a night. B&B equivalent would be £120ish a night and if I wanted dorm beds in the hostel (if available) I could save myself £20 a night. So say around £480 for 6 nights in our own room or £360 for dorms, as compared to a cottage for £700 in the same area. Camping would be £120ish, and the B&B £720 plus meals, so I guess it all depends what you are comparing it too.

MacT

I have just tried to book in at a hostel on the Southwest coast for early September. On the availability page it showed that there was room for a single but on the hostel web page it said there was no availability. So I phoned HQ. I was told that there was a bed in a dorm for a female but not a male BUT there is a double male room for £52 yes thats right £52. Naturaly I declined. Does the YHA know that you can get rooms in Travelodge for as little as £20 and even the top prices are only £45 - £60 and this includes en-suite showers. I did get booked in to another hostel but it means a change of route. Another Hostel on the same trip is charging £22 but the next night I will be in at a reasonable quality B&B in a large city 60 miles away for £25. I think the YHA has lost it's way

chrtho

Been there and done that, very recently. Carried my light-ish tent on the bike, along with the necessary sleeping bag, and self inflating thermarest mattress. So as light as possible, but still a hell of a difference when pulling it over a couple of days and 120 miles.

Then there was the camping experience. Put up tent while being attacked by midges. No entertainment for miles around (remote camp site) so early night. Uncomfortable sleep, until the sun came up about 4.30 am and that was end of sleep. Get up for a pee, and try to find a spot where I won't be seen (toilet block miles away). Watch condensation drip off roof of tent for a few hours, then get up. Queue up for awful shower. Take tent down while being attacked by midges again. Roll up soggy tent (condensation inside, dew outside) and pack it onto bike. Have greasy breakfast at site cafe, pay £6 for it. Pay site office £10 for my square of grass for the night. So £16 for "bed" and breakfast. A tenner more and I could have been in relative luxury.

NEVER; EVER, again!! (and that was without any bad weather).

Your mistake was staying on a campsite - wild camping is the only way to do it.

mcr

Veteran
Your mistake was staying on a campsite - wild camping is the only way to do it.

I think it's more a case of not choosing a campsite carefully - there's enough info online these days to be able to pick out the ones that are more suited to your needs (if you can be a bit flexible in your routing and itinerary). For example, I'll always choose one within walking distance of a pub that does food, to save on carrying cooking gear. And the YH ones can be good value - all the facilities of a hostel with your own single room!

Bluebell72

Camping is horrific, especially after a day's cycling or walking.
That's when I want a hot shower, dry clothes and to get warm.

I haven't stayed in a YH for years (since school and then university) when there'd be at least 6 of us in a group, so I tend not to notice conditions etc so much then.

Happy memories of days at Black Sail YH though, just checked on the website and there are beds available for £16.40 next week. Baaargain!

Danny

Legendary Member
Camping is horrific, especially after a day's cycling or walking.
That's when I want a hot shower, dry clothes and to get warm.

I haven't stayed in a YH for years (since school and then university) when there'd be at least 6 of us in a group, so I tend not to notice conditions etc so much then.

Happy memories of days at Black Sail YH though, just checked on the website and there are beds available for £16.40 next week. Baaargain!

I still like camping, but there is a lot to be said for having a roof over your head after a long day's cycling, particularly if it is cold or wet outside.

Most YHA's offer a pretty good standard of accommodation these days, which is one of the reasons costs have gone up, and unlike many B&B owners are totally relaxed if you turn up with a bike and are all wet or muddy.

Black Sail is still a delight to stay in, I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

Top Bottom