England : East Sussex Hastings to the Sea, Saturday 4 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
South of the station down to the front and along the promenade, every bar was teeming with teenagers (ok, some may have been in the 20-24 bracket) who were seriously inebriated and would not make it to closing time without passing out.
Painted faces, torn fishnets, tinnies galore, falling over, short skirts and no knickers - all observed. Most thought they had the right to meander/stagger along the bike path on the prom in the face of oncoming bicycles.
And this is the town you are contemplating retiring to?!
Yehbut I grew up in Crawley, innit

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
And this is the town you are contemplating retiring to?!
The Old Town of Hastings, and St Leonards generally, isn't much like that. Still firmly on the list no knickers or not.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've ridden down Hastings front a few times. On my own rides or on @smutchin 's Thanet audax. IMO the cycle path is a bit of a waste of time if you have a modicum of road sense, unless you really don't mind ambling along at walking pace.

In the daytime it's packed with oblivious promenaders and in the early evening, as we found, with happy partygoers. I'd imagine their mood gets uglier as the evening wears on.

Tbh, I find there's not much difference between the road and the prom with regards to rate of progress - the road is usually busy enough on a Saturday afternoon (when my ride passes through) that you're unlikely to be going much faster on the road than the prom. Plus there are several sets of traffic lights.

On a different day, or at a different time, I might prefer to stick to the road.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The first saturday of May is usually a glorious day in southern england, so a good day for a ride to the sea. This was no exception altho it was a close run thing at times.

Sounds like a lovely ride. And a fab route too - that road from Robertsbridge up to Brightling is a personal favourite (which is why it is also on my audax).

Maybe I'll join you all next time (probably a lot more fun than how I spent my weekend - laying 200sqm of turf...)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
IMG_20190507_184242.jpg
IMG_20190507_184300.jpg

38 x 36 soon to be 36 x 36

Top Bottom