Have Benotto (Genuine Italian built ones) fallen out of favour ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi to you all out there. Having had the pleasure of finding/rescuing,completely stripping and fully refurbishing a Benotto Modelo 850 Paris Roubaix variant complete with a total re-stove enamelled finish/brand new Chrome Benotto Pantograph forks and a great many NOS parts along with selected new items only to find that the 52cm frame was just a little out of my comfort zone.

I rode the bike for less than 250 miles and never in the wet I decided to sell it on. I started on E'bay with it at circa £1024.00 and as an auction expecting some lucky person to perhaps be the only bidder,this was very very close to what the whole project stood me at.

I had umpteen watchers but they are/were just that - WATCHERS. I also had the usual stupid offers and not a single serious offer.
I was reduced to stripping the bike to the frame plus the essentials and still the WATCHERS.

The frame is now back on E'bay :-- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302542791613?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

As of yet I have not so much as an offer and to cap-it-all there was a rather tasty 1970's 56cm Genuine Italian Benotto 3000 in the original light gold with a full compliment of Campagnolo kit on it that at £1350.00 is an absolute steal for someone. That has now ceased and will follow mine by being stripped to the frame and sold individually for the parts.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Well I think its nice, but way too small for me. Maybe the small size excludes quite a few folk and that's why you've had no concrete offers, I don't know. It might help to put what type of Columbus steel it is, I could'nt see mention of it in the eBay link. Nice bike, and good luck with sale and the search for a better fitting one for you.

Last edited:
Hi to you all that responded. In truth I do not know for absolute certainty which of the Columbus Tubings was used in the construction of my frame.
I will research it during the next few days.

My other Columbus tubed frame - a 50cm Steve Goff is constructed of 3 different tubes and was marketed as his Designer Select Model.

Hi to you all that responded. In truth I do not know for absolute certainty which of the Columbus Tubings was used in the construction of my frame.
I will research it during the next few days.

My other Columbus tubed frame - a 50cm Steve Goff is constructed of 3 different tubes and was marketed as his Designer Select Model.

Most references are to Columbus Zeta tubing, although Steel vintage claim this one is Ishiwata 019

https://www.steel-vintage.com/benotto-modelo-850-classic-bicycle-1980s-detail

I would be surprised though, 019 is a bit different to zeta.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Where did the £1024.00 price come from?

Where did the £1024.00 price come from?

Hi derrick. The £1024.00 consisted of the £168.00 that I paid to the charity that had the wreck of a bike on E'bay
The paint job that was done by C&G Finishes,the brand new Benotto Chromed Pantograph forks,the 140mm cranks and the Stronglight triple chainrings,having the frame rear drop-outs rest to 130mm along with a brand new Campagnolo 10spd cassette and the associated NOS Veloce rear derailleur and the front Campagnolo Veloce shifter.
The Mavic rims with Aksium Cartridge hubs with bladed SS Spokes,the brand new Italian bottom bracket,a brand new Stronglight A9 headset.
This along with all new cabling,10spd chain and loads of other bits and pieces.
The cost of all of the components and expenses was documented and then shredded so as not to leave a paper-trail for prying eyes.

U

User32269

I honestly think it is about frame size. Vintage bike prices are bizarre at the best of times, very large or very small really limits the scope.
There was a Pete Matthews bike on Gumtree Liverpool last year, it was hand-built, in great condition but very small. Given the location, it was not a lot of money, it went unsold. I would have snapped it up if I could have bodged it to fit. Unfortunately, it was worth more broken into parts as the frame, brilliant as it was, limited the appeal.

Hi odav. I am sure that you have hit the nail on the head here. That said as a short person I have chased several small frames and have missed-out to other eager buyers and I suppose the rarity/scarcity of the Benotto name and especially after the move to manufacturing in Mexico and the absolute failure of the brazing of frames that was recorded/reported the Marque has had few favours if any afforded to it.
The hallmark signs that frames are of genuine Italian origin/manufacture are very few indeed and there seems to be little to be reseached on the internet.
Considering that Benotto were chosen by the tour riders of old albeit not many and were such a lovely light and frisky frame/cycle to ride.
This could be down to the fact that the brand used Columbus tubing.

Top Bottom