Have Benotto (Genuine Italian built ones) fallen out of favour ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all. It finally came down to me being absolutely P****d off with the idiotic questions and insane offers for the Benotto as a whole bike that I decided to strip it and use the component parts in the construction of a 50cm Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu Carbon Flat-bar Hybrid road bike (from a naked frame + headset).
After several more free listings the Benotto including bottom bracket plus a brand new spare and a Stronglight A9 headset along with a micro adjustable seat pin and an additional pair of forks (the original that were chromed but sandblasted and painted as per the frame) finally sold to a young lady in South London for the miserly sum of £245.00 plus carriage.

Here is what became of the components that were on the Benotto as a whole bike. The Bianchi is on Campagnolo Veloce 10spd plus a triple Stronglight chain-set with Thorn (SJS) 140mm cranks.
DSCF4341.JPG
DSCF4324.JPG
DSCF4329.JPG

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thats a heck of a smart bike.....just hang on to it for awhile and enjoy it !

Thats a heck of a smart bike.....just hang on to it for awhile and enjoy it !

Hi woodbutcher. Thank you. The bike was created because I am experiencing intermittent severe pain in my 73yr old right elbow and as a result find it agony at times when riding dropped bars on the hoods.

I built a 51cm Steve Goff and had it totally refinished in a stunning Polychromatic Blue and fitted new chromed forks about two years ago after selling a few of my other bikes.
That is very very reluctantly now up for sale on E'bay and Gumtree.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303150005390

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/steve-goff-hand-built-road-race-cycle/1340244349

HTC One M8 14-12-2016 (2).jpg

That is one gobsmackingly gorgeous bike, however, no doubt others might agree with me that the very small size might make it quite difficult to sell.

I sincerely hope not as it hurts me to suggest such a thing.

One thing is for sure @TheCyclingRooster and that is you know how to make my saliva glands go into overdrive, because I am bloody well drowning right now!!

That is one gobsmackingly gorgeous bike, however, no doubt others might agree with me that the very small size might make it quite difficult to sell.

I sincerely hope not as it hurts me to suggest such a thing.

One thing is for sure @TheCyclingRooster and that is you know how to make my saliva glands go into overdrive, because I am bloody well drowning right now!!

Hi buzzy-beans. Thank you. Yes,us short arsed people (I am 4'10" tall with a 23" inside leg) for the most part are not many in number.
Ever since November 2010 and after total left knee replacement surgery I have been riding 140mm cranks so that I can get the full circulatory action of the cranks-I only have a 92* bend at the left knee.
The bike with very little of a change will very easily accommodate a rider with a 34" inside leg measurement.

The saddle will go at least another 5" higher and the 140mm cranks can be changed for 170mm or 175mm - all is not what at first appears to be prohibitive.

I created this stunning little machine specifically for me by using my head and my and my cycle building tools.

Further images on E'bay @ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303150005390

Yes,us short arsed people

I'm not quite as challenged as you when it comes to the legs as my inside leg is a truly enormous 29", but they are legs that have never let me down.

My problem now at the tender young age of 70 is that over the past 17 months a combination of something in my lungs as well as now in my ticker have kept me mostly out of the saddle, and now damn it, the judging panel is out once again as some of them believe there might be something distinctly more sinister happening inside!

But hey ho, none of that can stop me thinking how truly gifted you are at creating two wheeled works of art for which I am grateful.

I'm not quite as challenged as you when it comes to the legs as my inside leg is a truly enormous 29", but they are legs that have never let me down.

My problem now at the tender young age of 70 is that over the past 17 months a combination of something in my lungs as well as now in my ticker have kept me mostly out of the saddle, and now damn it, the judging panel is out once again as some of them believe there might be something distinctly more sinister happening inside!

But hey ho, none of that can stop me thinking how truly gifted you are at creating two wheeled works of art for which I am grateful.

Hi buzzy-beans. Gee whizz a 29" inside leg,that is the shortest leg length that I can buy but then I set-about reducing them to my 23" inside leg length.

I am sorry to hear that your health issues are not sounding good.
I may well be putting my Bianchi post #16 up for sale if the switch from dropped bars over to my flat-bar hybrid does not ease the arthritic right elbow.

Look after yourself and keep your chin held high in that lovely part of England.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Chin up chaps, leg inseam and hight are of little (no pun intended) importance when it comes to riding ability . I bought a bike from Sam Dumoulin , A TDF rider with AG2R La Mondiale . He is 1.59 ( 5'3" ) tall . If you need convincing just check out his training schedule ...bloody awe inspiring and l doubt that there is a single Cyclechat member no matter what their physique, that could come anywhere near his ability ^_^

Despite not being allowed to go out on my bike, I still manage to do up to 1,000 squats and 500 or more angled press ups and stomach tensioning leg ups a day to keep the my muscles in trim.
I have several younger, fit friends who live in France, who own the latests specifications of carbon bikes and not one of them can get anywhere close to the average speeds my group used to average on our steel framed bikes when doing the London/Brighton or Trans Penines rides etc.!

Chin up chaps, leg inseam and hight are of little (no pun intended) importance when it comes to riding ability . I bought a bike from Sam Dumoulin , A TDF rider with AG2R La Mondiale . He is 1.59 ( 5'3" ) tall . If you need convincing just check out his training schedule ...bloody awe inspiring and l doubt that there is a single Cyclechat member no matter what their physique, that could come anywhere near his ability ^_^

Hi again wb. I have heard of Tom Dumoulin is this a brother or a cousin ?
At 5'3" tall he is about 6" shorter than The Manx Missile - at 4'10" I am 'dwarfish' compared to both of them.
When I was in my mid/late teens I rode a 108" fixed wheel on my 1937 Hetchins Track Frame and non of the group of riders that regularly rode out together could keep on my rear wheel.
My weekly training came by way of cycling into work approximately 12 miles and home again with a duffel bag on my back with my trade tools and everything else as ballast.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Hi again wb. I have heard of Tom Dumoulin is this a brother or a cousin ?
At 5'3" tall he is about 6" shorter than The Manx Missile - at 4'10" I am 'dwarfish' compared to both of them.
When I was in my mid/late teens I rode a 108" fixed wheel on my 1937 Hetchins Track Frame and non of the group of riders that regularly rode out together could keep on my rear wheel.
My weekly training came by way of cycling into work approximately 12 miles and home again with a duffel bag on my back with my trade tools and everything else as ballast.
l am not sure but l think they are cousins T.Dumoulin is obviously Dutch but Sam is French. I got confused when l was buying the bike much to everyones irritation. If they stood side by side it would have been easier since T.D. is 6' plus and S.D. is 5'plus ^_^

Top Bottom