Have I bent the chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
WP_20180723_07_53_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20180723_07_51_21_Pro.jpg
I have been having some indexing problems with my Hard Rock for a while. I think I have finally sorted it. The middle chainring is no longer straight. Does anyone know if this is a design feature to aid shifting? How could I bend the inner but not the outer?

Thanks in advance.

si_c

Guru
View attachment 420706 View attachment 420705 I have been having some indexing problems with my Hard Rock for a while. I think I have finally sorted it. The middle chainring is no longer straight. Does anyone know if this is a design feature to aid shifting? How could I bend the inner but not the outer?

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't look bent from that photo AFAICT, if you put the chain in the big ring and put another photo of where you think it's bent that would help see better.

OP
OP
Low Gear Guy

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Thanks everyone. If you look carefully at the chain on the photograph there is a change of angle at the end.

Looks like I will have to take the chainring assembly apart. I may as well replace the rings then considering the bike is ten years old.

si_c

Guru
Thanks everyone. If you look carefully at the chain on the photograph there is a change of angle at the end.

Looks more like a perspective artifact than a bent chainring to me. To be certain though, put the chain in the big ring, then look down at the middle ring, turn the cranks and watch the ring, if it is bent then you will see lateral movement - this will be more obvious the faster you spin the cranks. No (or very small) lateral movement = no bent chainring.

Top Bottom