Have I killed my knee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Was out on a 50 miler this morning and with about 40 miles to go my knee just went. It meant that I could hardly put any pressure on the right hand pedal and it was causing me to be in agony. Got to the lunch stop at the end of the ride and my knee felt a bit better when off the bike, but still couldn't pout full weight on it. Then came the two mile cycle home. my knee had got even worse allmost to the point where I was going to stop and call the parents(I probably should have stopped but I didn't). Now I am at home it seems to have improved slighty - I can walk normally but I can't get up or down stairs with out hoping them. Also the bad knee's( the rihgt one) kneecap seems to move a lot more than the healthy left one(almost half as much movement again). I should also add that I am only 14 and I am still growing.

Steve

louise

I think that should be checked over, you may have done some tendon or Ligament damage

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Take a bit of time to rest it.

R.I.C.E.

Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Always best for this type of thing.

Rest it, put some ice on it. put some gauze elasticated bandage round it. Elevate it (put your feet up).

See the doctor if it persists, maybe even see the doc anyway, to be sure.

NICE

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, Ice,Compression, Elevation. (As well as rest).

The Ibuprofen helps bring down swelling, which allows better blood flow to the injury site, clearing away damage by-products and helping with the healing. It also helps with the pain.

Ravenz

Only when your knee has fully recovered, get a friend to examine your riiding position from front and side. If you can do this on rollers then all the better. Consider taking photos or a video of your riding action. Unless it becomes evident that another physiological reason caused the pain and inflammation, then it is likely to re occur.
Go back to basics .. seat height .. seat fore and aft ... shoe positioning on pedal .. are knees flexing or extending too much ..? etc are the questions to ask yourself.

Try not to go down the route of throwing technology at any possible 'cure' such as shorter cranks or whatever.. not yet anyways ;-)

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Will try and get someone to analise my position when I am recovered. I could also film myself when on the turbo and post it up on here.

Steve

ChrisKH

Guru
Doctors. When this happened to me I had torn my cartilage. Inability to go up and down stairs is indicative of this type of injury, although you are a bit young for it. Can you fully bend your leg to the same extent whilst laying down?

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

ChrisKH said:
Doctors. When this happened to me I had torn my cartilage. Inability to go up and down stairs is indicative of this type of injury, although you are a bit young for it. Can you fully bend your leg to the same extent whilst laying down?

Can bend my knee fully when laying down but can't bend it fully if there is any weight on it. For example I can't get up out of a chair from using my right leg.

Steve

Tynan

Veteran
I don't remember your cycle history young 'un, when did you start and how quickly have you worked up to where you are now?

and if needs saying, gp, knees are funny buggers and you do tend to use them a lot

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

First got the road bike in june. didnt really ride it until mid july cus we were on holiday. started out doing about 22 miles a week. then started doing 40 a week. 50 a week. then 6 weeks ago i started doing 35/40 milers on sats so my milege was 60 a week. then at the weekend i did 35 on the sat then 50 on the sun which was when my knee went.

Steve

Top Bottom