Have I made a terrible mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to actually use this bike, I want the frame to replace the horrid frame I currently have.

The most this bike will ever do is twenty miles a day, and that's over three rides (to work, lunchtime ride and going home).
Yeahbut... if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Would you wear a hat or pair of shoes two sizes too big? Are you prepared for the shame and embarrassment, the riducule from passersby, of riding a bike which is two sizes two big?

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Yeahbut... if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Would you wear a hat or pair of shoes two sizes too big? Are you prepared for the shame and embarrassment, the riducule from passersby, of riding a bike which is two sizes two big?

I'll distract them with cheery whistling.

Point taken though.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Rough guide to frame sizing, when 'normal' frames were made, inside leg minus 9".
(Top tubes came in 'short', or 'normal'.)
So until you can measure it against yourself, you won't know.
Looks likely to be of good quality looking at the lugwork.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've still not had any contact from the seller despite my attempts to get payment sorted. Perhaps I might get a chance to wriggle out of the deal. I want to know if this is the case as there's a far more attractive bike I could be bidding on :smile:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I'm probably wrong, but my understanding of the Paypal system is that the money is held by them until you get the goods, & is released when you tell Paypal.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm smaller than you (6', 34" IL) and my frame (a Dawes, as it happens) is that size, and I'm very, very happy with it. It doubtless *is* a bit on the big side, but I've never found it a problem. I agree, though, that I wouldn't put money into it before selling it on, if that's what you decide you want to do.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I am 6'2 all but dammit and the bike I had made for me in about 1983 is a 25" frame My record ace that was stolen last year was a 25" my fixed wheel 1950s Hobbs lugless was a 25" erm my Higgins trike is a 25" as was my made to measure Bob Jackson trike, you might notice a theme here? I could ride 23.5 frames but they were always a bit of a comprimise with excessive Handle bar stems and all the post showing. This is now what seems to be the norm though for 6 footer and good luck and happy riding to all those that ride them.
Having said all that I worked in a bike shop in the eighties and got to ride all sorts and found the jump from 25 inch to a 25.5 inch frame of which Dawes were one of the main makers in that size a tad to big and I always felt as if I was teetering on them a bit (can't quite describe it) rather than a part of them. Not sure why ?

Shorter Rochford who made my first frame when I was about 16 supplied me with a 25" too come to think of it

I would say build it up give it a go and if it suits throw some money at it and if it doesn't get it back on Ebay.

here is a picture of my bespoke before they sold out to make mountain bikes 'gate' of a Saracen

Attachments

• DSCI0001.JPG
    DSCI0001.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Well it's here and it's, well, 'substantial'...

uploadfromtaptalk1366222434095.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366222491199.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366222510909.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366222537641.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366222573704.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366222598121.jpg

Not sure how I feel about it yet. The horizontal drops are lovely and this isn't the sort of frame that will disolve during the winter commute!

So maybe I should make do and build a proper robust commuter...

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I thought I had better check the frame size before doing any work at all.

Based on using 700c wheels I wanted to check that I could clear the crossbar, so I tried to hold the frame with what would be the rear axel 350mm off the ground. Well at least I tried to. The highest I could lift the frame without doing myself a genital discourtesy was 320mm.

So... would anyone like to buy a frame?

uploadfromtaptalk1366226841403.jpg

Top Bottom