Have I made a terrible mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've been on the lookout for a nicer frame for my SS for quite a while and have been bidding on THIS Fuji but don't realistically think I'll be able to get it for my £50 budget.

So today I spotted THIS old Dawes frame with almost perfect looking rear drops and 'accidentally' won the auction for just £18. In my haste I thought the frame size looked alright, but I now notice that it's a 26" frame! Now I'm a fairly lanky fellow who stands around 6' to 6' 2" and has long legs, but have I made a terrible mistake buying a frame that looks like a gate?

Custom24

Über Member
I'm guessing you intended to put some links in, but forgot...

PpPete

Legendary Member
My original fixed frame was a 25.5" Dawes and similar sized Carlton I replaced it with doesn't seem quite as stiff. Both are 531.
At 6' 2" and 35" inside leg (to the floor) that is the right size for me in those old-school frames.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I've been on the lookout for a nicer frame for my SS for quite a while and have been bidding on THIS Fuji but don't realistically think I'll be able to get it for my £50 budget.

So today I spotted THIS old Dawes frame with almost perfect looking rear drops and 'accidentally' won the auction for just £18. In my haste I thought the frame size looked alright, but I now notice that it's a 26" frame! Now I'm a fairly lanky fellow who stands around 6' to 6' 2" and has long legs, but have I made a terrible mistake buying a frame that looks like a gate?

In those days the "standard" sizing technique at the bike shop was to stand over the crossbar and see if an inch or two of clearance exists. I am 6 ft, my PBH is 36" and my Record Ace is 25". You might need to pick stem and bars carefully to avoid overstretching.

Even if it is too large you probably wouldn't lose much money reselling it as is or built up.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
In those days the "standard" sizing technique at the bike shop was to stand over the crossbar and see if an inch or two of clearance exists. I am 6 ft, my PBH is 36" and my Record Ace is 25". You might need to pick stem and bars carefully to avoid overstretching.

Even if it is too large you probably wouldn't lose much money reselling it as is or built up.

And it'll be fun!

Hmm, I've just looked at how large my first vintage bike was, and it was 23" but we will have to see!

At worst I'll get it stripped and powder coated then try and sell it on to recoop my loss :sad:
If it is too big (65cm it probably is :ohmy:) I try and sell it on before you go to that hassle, good luck.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm 5'11'' and can comfortably ride my 25" Viscount. Big frames were in fashion then.

The important points are can you stand over it with even a little clearance and how long is the top tube. My Viscount is actually quite short compared to some frames and I ride with a longish stem.

Bigger than 24" frames are over-represented in second hand listings because so few people fit on them that they're less likely ridden into the ground, trashed or crashed. So there's a lot of big bikes around. At six feet (and on a 23.5 inch frame) one I'm in the top 2%ile of the population, which means that your target market for selling such a big frame is tiny. It's a buyer's market, I'd be carful about spending any money on it before selling it.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
What's the frame made of? Is it butted/double butted Reynolds or Tange, or just an ordinary steel frame?

It looks like this:
dawes.JPG

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Bigger than 24" frames are over-represented in second hand listings because so few people fit on them that they're less likely ridden into the ground, trashed or crashed. So there's a lot of big bikes around. At six feet (and on a 23.5 inch frame) one I'm in the top 2%ile of the population, which means that your target market for selling such a big frame is tiny. It's a buyer's market, I'd be carful about spending any money on it before selling it.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to actually use this bike, I want the frame to replace the horrid frame I currently have.

The most this bike will ever do is twenty miles a day, and that's over three rides (to work, lunchtime ride and going home).

Top Bottom