Have often you read yours...?

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by tom73, 31 Jan 2019.

1. tom73

tom73 Über Member

classic33, Edwardoka, winjim and 4 others like this.
  2. Threevok

Threevok Junior Member (Trainee)

Had a similar incident Tuesday, with a woman pulling along the right hand side of me at a roundabout, shouting and balling at me for "taking up the entire road".

This was even more perplexing, as I was positioned to go straight on and she was indicating to go left.

classic33 and meta lon like this.
  3. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Why was he in the middle of the lane? was he on a trike.

4. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Why not?

classic33 likes this.
  5. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

There was no need to be there, was he just trying to wind up the motorist. :wacko: No wonder people get close passes if that's how they ride, a bit of consideration on the road goes a long way,

dave r likes this.
  6. C R

C R Über Member

He was going past a dog that wasn't on a lead, so being cautious of the dog. There was good visibility ahead, and no oncoming traffic, so the driver was not inconvenienced.

I would say, though, that at the traffic lights the cyclist was in the middle of the road, and in the way of potential oncoming traffic.

Reiver, mjr and winjim like this.
  7. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Neither was there any need to not be there.

8. Just winding up the motorist?

There is a loose dog on the pavement and he is sensibly giving himself a few inches of space.

That side of the road belongs to the cyclist and the driver, equally. The cyclist can use as much of it as he wants. He is not borrowing it. He has equal share.

You are on a cycling site and dont appear to understand that.

Slick, ABikeCam, Reiver and 13 others like this.
  9. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Why do people get into arguments with idiots like this? A good smack in the mouth fixes it.

Edwardoka, steveindenmark and tom73 like this.
  10. C R

C R Über Member

TBF, if the cyclist really wanted to wind up the driver, he should have just carried on to the ASL.

Slick, mustang1 and Diogenes like this.
  11. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

It was a two lane road, one lane each way.
    Even if he'd been in secondary, the overtaking driver would have had to go into the other lane to pass him, so could only overtake if there was no oncoming traffic.
    The cyclist being in the middle of the road made no difference to that. He was not inconveniencing the motorist in any way.

HTH

Tizme, Arjimlad, Dogtrousers and 6 others like this.
  12. stowie

stowie Guru

The need to be there was to try to encourage drivers who are more hard of thinking to use the empty lane to the right to overtake as opposed to skimming past the cyclist at speed.

Not only did the cyclist position make no difference to the time taken to overtake - since the other lane was completely empty - but also the overtake ultimately gained the driver precisely nothing in time since they both met up at the lights a little later.

Not that I would expect this particular driver to understand this considering he seems somewhat confused over basic licensing requirements.

Tizme, Arjimlad, mustang1 and 5 others like this.
  13. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

I am minded to agree with you, whilst he has a right to take the middle of the road there didn’t seem to be a need to be so far across for so long.

derrick likes this.
  14. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

If he had been curb hugging like a few of you suggest he should have been, then he would have been at risk not only from the unleashed dog, but he also would have encouraged the irate driver to overtake even if another car had been coming in the opposite direction which would have put him in even more danger of being hit. I have no problem with his positioning.

Tizme, Spinney, Pat "5mph" and 4 others like this.
  15. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

think%20cyclist.jpg
    Note the bottom left one!

Slick, Tizme, Spinney and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice