Have often you read yours...?

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by tom73, 31 Jan 2019.

1. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

It wouldn't have mattered where that rider was positioned, twatmouth would have ranted at him anyway. He's just one of those many insecure people who get wound up at the mere sight of a cyclist, especially one that knows how to ride safely.

The driver wasn't inconvenienced in the slightest.

Tizme, Dogtrousers, tom73 and 5 others like this.
  2. boydj

boydj Guru

On a narrow road like that it's good practice to ride in a strong position or even take the lane to discourage unsafe overtakes.

Seems like there's a few on here who could do with some bikeability training or having a read at Cyclecraft. Or maybe even try riding a bike on busy roads for a while.

Tizme, mustang1 and classic33 like this.
  3. Drago

Drago Guru

I dont know why CC give column inches to NON STORIES. They're fast becoming a PRO cycling daily mail.

steveindenmark and mustang1 like this.
  4. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

I thought I was going to have an incident this afternoon like that. Peddling along middle of nowhere, pretty foggy a car comes up behind me and instead of passing starts to follow me , it was foggy but you could see far enough - then it pulls alongside, passenger window comes down and driver starts shouting, I'm thinking the worst and weighing up my chances if he gets out, - then I realise he is liking my rear lights and asking what they are, turns out he's a cyclist too, so there we were rolling along at 10 to 15 mph having a cycling conversation, then he said you do realise its -6, at which I replied you do realise there is an inbound logging truck - at which point he wished me well and sped off.

Jenkins, Spinney, Arjimlad and 3 others like this.
  5. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

We seem to have a few, To be honest i can't be ****h

6. We all know our cycling licences dont cover this situation. I think it was a trick
    The entire clip was only a few seconds long. What are you talking about?
    .During the whole clip the other side of the road was totally clear, with a good view ahead. That is where the motorist should have been. That is what overtaking is.

Dont go cap in hand to borrow a bit of road. Its yours. Own it.

Tizme, boydj, Arjimlad and 4 others like this.
  7. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Obviously a motorist who didn't get his end away the previous evening.

Threevok and steveindenmark like this.
  8. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

My stock answer when asked how much road I need/think I need is always the same. "As much as you do, to stay safe."

Slick and glasgowcyclist like this.
  9. Drago

Drago Guru

The motorist had just found out that his partner had been having an affair with a cyclist.

10. DRM

DRM Über Member

Listening to that idiots accent I’m guessing this was filmed in Nottingham, where the the really bad aggressive drivers exist, a horrible place to use the roads using any form of transport

11. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

I've heard much the same said about Norwich and Northampton.

I'm beginning to see a trend ...

12. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

I would have went even wider for that dog - and the driver should also have been aware of the possibility of the cyclist needing to take avoiding action for the dog and not over taken the cyclist at that point.

I don't quite get why the cyclist went for the confrontation at the lights? very dangerous in that you have no idea of what sort of loon you could be squaring up to

I thought his position was good, in fact that is the position I ride, I stay quite wide until the car starts the overtake at which point I come in a bit, thus ensuring I get plenty of space
    Here is an example from the smorning, notice at 0:14 how I move a little left after the car has committed itself for the pass - then I can get back to a bit of ski-sunday

View: https://youtu.be/hyBCExuhKN0

Slick and C R like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice