Have you become a 'citizen'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Wrexham too. :eek:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Never heard Dunfermline pronounced with fewer than three syllables... but BBC Radio Lancashire presenters tend to be hopeless at pronouncing some local towns and villages.

Does becoming a city offer any real benefit, or is it just another excuse for the council to cut services because they're spending all their money on updating their stationery and town signage?

Eight towns have become cities overnight.

Platinum Jubilee: Eight towns to be made cities for Platinum Jubilee​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505857

Sadly Accrington isn't one of them, but the Falkland Islands capital Stanley, obviously named after Accrington Stanley :whistle: is on the list!:okay:. I heard a radio news reader pronounce Dunfermline Dun ferm line( line, not lin:rolleyes:),using three syllables.:laugh:

Accrington Stanley, who are they? 😆

Becoming a city apparently helps with access to more money from central government (not central at all that would put them in Dunsop Bridge). Although why a city council should get better access to extra funds than non city councils for no obvious reason other than city status I really don't know. I bet there's towns in more need of money than some of those new cities.

Is Blackburn a city? I remember the times before the city of Preston. I always thought Blackburn deserves it more.

postman

Legendary Member
Yeah, but really emphasized syllables! Dun....ferm.....line! The 'line' bit was the best!!:okay:
Adel is Leeds 16.BBC pronounce it Adele,it is Addle.

Top Bottom