Have you become a 'citizen'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wonder if it actually de-values the title of being a City of they're handing them out left right and centre 🤔

I'd say yes. It's like universities. Years ago we thought of the obvious ones, then the 'lesser ones' like Lancaster, Durham etc. Now we hear of Bolton university for example!:rolleyes: A city to me is a vast place with very high buildings, massive traffic congestion and not a blade of grass for miles!^_^ Not just a place that applied for city status, with the winners being chosen by pulling numbered balls out of a velvet bag.:rolleyes:

a.twiddler

Veteran
What are the obvious universities? Oxford, Cambridge? Durham is the third oldest after these two and comes highly placed in any league table of the UK. Lancaster, established in the 1960s, Bolton established in the 90s, like many other former colleges granted university status around that time.
If they come up with the goods, they stand or fall on their own merits. As costs rise, they are chasing less and less potential students who could afford it.

When it comes to cities, then it becomes a mystery to me. Does adding the title "City" to a post industrial town that once thrived in the age of Britain's manufacturing heyday magically turn it from a dreary place full of betting shops and discount stores with an ageing population, into a magnet for thrusting, youthtul investors? There are many such towns in Britain today, each with their own history and civic pride. How is the decision made? Who chooses? Whatever the outcome, there are many disappointed candidates. For football fans, if their team is named after the town, it gets to put "City" in its logo.

Nope. Even after a bit of thought, it's still a mystery.

keithmac

Guru
Seems there's not really much to the name..

City status is often associated with having a cathedral, university, or large population, but there are no set rules for being granted the status, which is awarded by the monarch on advice of ministers.

Linoleum capital of the world.
Who remembers linoleum?

Lord Ashton, formerly of Ryelands, Lancaster, was the lino king back in the late 1800s. Lancaster had the biggest lino production operation in the world apparently. Still it took until 1937 for lancaster to become a city.

Wrexham a city? No doubt Rhyll will follow next round! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

When Preston got made up to a city I lived part way between it and Blackburn. I didn't think either deserved it. Not that in think it is really worth much anymore. I think all the cities worthy of the title had that status a long time ago. If it read my choice I'd remove city status conferred since 1900 unless some very compelling reasons for the status. I'd also make any advantages due to city status to be removed and given on merit to any settlement most deserving or in need of it.

This thread is just getting more and more random.

@Accy cyclist ... you need to do some homework, the two 'lesser' universities you mention rank quite highly :okay:

Lancaster regularly rates highly as a university. Plus it was the setting for a university doctors surgery with rampaging nuns in the title sequence. :laugh:

Manchester is also highly regarded despite being in the northwest of England and not in the oxbridge areas of the country. Modern Manchester uni being a merger of Manchester uni and UMIST. Although it seems to me more of a takeover. Still both of those were highly regarded before merging.

Off topic the above

Lancaster deserved city status years before it got it IMHO and perhaps it might not have declined so much. One claim to fame was the longest serving prison in Lancaster Castle. Another is the fifth oldest surviving rowing clubs is based in Lancaster, the John o' Gaunt rowing club.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
What are the obvious universities? Oxford, Cambridge? Durham is the third oldest after these two and comes highly placed in any league table of the UK. Lancaster, established in the 1960s, Bolton established in the 90s, like many other former colleges granted university status around that time.
If they come up with the goods, they stand or fall on their own merits. As costs rise, they are chasing less and less potential students who could afford it.

When it comes to cities, then it becomes a mystery to me. Does adding the title "City" to a post industrial town that once thrived in the age of Britain's manufacturing heyday magically turn it from a dreary place full of betting shops and discount stores with an ageing population, into a magnet for thrusting, youthtul investors? There are many such towns in Britain today, each with their own history and civic pride. How is the decision made? Who chooses? Whatever the outcome, there are many disappointed candidates. For football fans, if their team is named after the town, it gets to put "City" in its logo.

Nope. Even after a bit of thought, it's still a mystery.

After Oxford and Cambridge the Scottish universities were next in order of foundation.
St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow and 2 in Aberdeen.

Gwylan

Veteran
I had to renew my passport at an embassy in a far flung corner of the empire.
I had spent a long time not living in the UK but passing through several times a year. That passport had also been renewed in a remote embassy
There was an extended, heated and complex discussion with officials.
I wanted the "right of abode" included in the new passport.
Friends warned me the challenges they had faced when returning home after service abroad.

gbb

Legendary Member
I must have become very cynical or jaded over the years because im sat thinking, cities ? Who actually cares ?
Obviously some...obviously, but....
But then, perhaps living in Peterborough does that to you :laugh:

Gwylan

Veteran
I must have become very cynical or jaded over the years because im sat thinking, cities ? Who actually cares ?
Obviously some...obviously, but....
But then, perhaps living in Peterborough does that to you :laugh:

If you are the Mayor you can get a bigger chain and more expenses.
Also get invited to a better class of do being part that club

Top Bottom