Have you been up this hill Col?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw this on the the road.cc web site and instantly thought of you @ColinJ have you been up it?

Screenshot_20220405-213418_Facebook.jpg

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-5-april-2022-291673

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
How about Cowbar Bank in Staithes? Anyone did that one?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A local guy, Karl Wittering aka Dr Crank (he does ghost walks under that name) ran up - and also presumably down - the Whitby steps 199 times in 2018. I can't find any after the fact reports - only "he intends to" ones, but when I met him (I went on one of his walks) he reported that he was successful.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/record-bid-runner-whitby-steps-260621
Blimey!

I stretched the truth slightly... I was in Whitby with my fit cousin. He started running up the steps so I set off in pursuit but I only got half way before having to slow to a walk! :laugh:

I spotted the sign and decided to pose next to it. I showed the photo to someone totally lacking in humour who told me that I should delete the picture because it was very unflattering. It made me look old and knackered, which was particularly unfortunate because of the sign next to the ancient wall... Hadn't I spotted that?! :wacko:

D'uh - it was a J*O*K*E!!!

ColinJ

Name that hill thread…
My Name That Road thread was inspired by a similar hilly view one on the walking forum!

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
A local guy, Karl Wittering aka Dr Crank (he does ghost walks under that name) ran up - and also presumably down - the Whitby steps 199 times in 2018. I can't find any after the fact reports - only "he intends to" ones, but when I met him (I went on one of his walks) he reported that he was successful.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/record-bid-runner-whitby-steps-260621
Karl is a top guy, He also runs a bike repair service from home. Phone him and he will collect your bike and bring it back again once sorted. Quite reasonable rates too.
see his facebook page for details♠️

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My son tried it last summer. It's virtually impossible on a road bike due to angles and cobbles. An e-bike or e-MTB could do it though.
As an ex local, I would concur with that, the bottom part is so steep with no chance of a run up at it, and then throw in cobbles for fun...

ColinJ

Did any of the visitors give you any money, as you sat there looking forlorn?

Even at my fittest, & when fell-running, I never contemplating trying to run up there!!:wacko:
As I admitted later - I didn't actually get very far before slowing to a walk!

I was impressed by my cousin though - he DID run all the way up. I'm not sure if he did much/any running normally, but he was very cycling-fit. (Not that cycling fitness directly translates into running fitness - I have never been able to run very fast/far.)

As an ex local, I would concur with that, the bottom part is so steep with no chance of a run up at it, and then throw in cobbles for fun...
We went up the steps rather than the cobbles.

When recovering from my first pulmonary embolism though, I got my fitness back power-walking up The Buttress in Hebden Bridge...

I managed to get fit enough to average 4+ mph up the hill to Heptonstall. I still wouldn't have fancied trying to run up it though!

Top Bottom