Have you been Wordle-ing (no spoilers please)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh that's good fun, and quite addictive.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Actually, he was right.

There are certain words which give you a far better chance than others of getting important information, and purists will pick one of those words and start with it every time.

Ideally (even though there can be duplicated letters), you want 5 different letters with 3 vowels in a 5 letter puzzle. So something like Abode or Abide or Arise or Cause. Even better if the other two letters are common ones such as r, s, t, n, d.
ATONE
You can have that one on me.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Ideally (even though there can be duplicated letters), you want 5 different letters with 3 vowels in a 5 letter puzzle. So something like Abode or Abide or Arise or Cause. Even better if the other two letters are common ones such as r, s, t, n, d.

Interesting.

My thinking was the exact opposite; knowing which consonants are including is much more important than which vowels.

So I always start with a word with few vowels, but many consonants.

Prick, right, thorn, strap etc.

I realise it would be logical to use the same one every time, but that's a bit dull.

I would guess there's some maths that could be done to work out whether your or my approach is superior. Might give your method a go tomorrow, anode beckons.

alicat

Legendary Member
My thinking was the exact opposite; knowing which consonants are including is much more important than which vowels.
I agree with that approach. It's easier to fill the vowels in once the bones of the word are in place.

Alex321

Veteran

winjim

Smash the cistern
Wordle 207 4/6

◼️◼️◼️◼️◼️
◼️🟨◼️◼️◼️
🟩🟨🟨🟨◼️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 207 4/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That linear improvement failed miserably today.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Wordle 207 5/6*

🟨⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛🟩🟨🟩⬛
🟨🟩⬛🟩⬛
🟨🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
American!!
Neay caught me out too
Wordle 207 6/6

⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜