Have you discovered any delicious recipes by accident?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Mine is crispy garlic bread.

I once went to see my GF and bought one of those frozen garlic baguettes to put in her oven.

When I got there, however, her oven was in the process of being cleaned, and was full of chemicals!

Cue me sulking (because I LOVE garlic bread and was really looking forward to it), until she suggested that we chop it up still frozen and put the bits in the sandwich toaster.

All I can say is OMFG! It is delicious! It comes out golden-brown and crispy all the way through. Nowadays we stick it in the sandwich toaster even if the oven is available!

What completely delicious recipes have you discovered by accident?

Globalti

Legendary Member
In a similar vein, fried bread dipped in sugar. Tastes just like doughnuts.

Coffee without milk.

Back in the day when I was a poor student I went to make a mug to find that one of my dear housemates had scoffed the last of the white stuff. Desperate to satisfy my caffeine fix for the hour I bravely continued to drink the stuff black.

Now I can’t stand white coffee and have it black.

Tea on the other hand had to be white, unless it is Earl Grey, or we have run out of milk again.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Touche said:
Coffee without milk.
Ditto... but for different reasons... I found I had sky high cholesterol levels, and started doing anything I could* to lower it... eventually doc said it's inherited condition, so now I take statins, but I stuck with the black coffee, and now prefer it.

*incl cycling :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
XmisterIS said:
Was this discovered because you dropped a freshly fried bit in sugar by accident, fished it out and thought, "Sodomize me, that's good!" Or was it intentional?

Well.... it was sort of by accident.... when I was an English Assistant in Spain I shared a hall with about 80 Spanish blokes and some days for breakfast the kitchen used to serve up yesterday's bread sliced and deep fried. I saw somebody putting sugar on his, tried it and was hooked.

The other breakfast favourite was a huge kettle full of diluted condensed milk and a huge kettle full of coffee with a huge bowl of cheap biscuits. We would break the biscuits into a bowl of milk/coffee and mash them into a kind of porridge. It was rather good actually.

I got quite addicted to condensed milk until one night when my room mate and I, feeling a bit peckish, broke into the kitchen for a snack where we found a catering can of it open and absolutely crawling with ants, which somehow were managing not to stick to the surface. I went off it a bit then.

The college was run by Opus Dei so I was an Opus employee. I didn't whip myself or wear barbed wire around my thigh though.

Top Bottom