Have you ever been an "expert"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
barq said:
I had Elle magazine approach me a while back about something I (and pretty much only I) research. However they'd already got a story in mind and I didn't have any data to support it. So they got another rent-a-quote psychologist instead*. :biggrin:

Needless bitchiness aside :wacko: I'm amazed by how far certain experts are prepared to stray from their actual sphere of expertise. Specifically they start spouting common-sense platitudes which sound like the ought to be true (but aren't necessarily).

[* She wasn't too bad actually, and I respect some of her other work.]

I remember you continuing that research on a forum, cannot remember which one. By the time I had decided that I might be able to help you with your research, the thread was very difficult to find, says I diplomatically. I would have been very interested in the how the parameters of any data would be defined.
Where you watching "No Comparision" last night by any chance?

barq said:
I had Elle magazine approach me a while back about something I (and pretty much only I) research. However they'd already got a story in mind and I didn't have any data to support it. So they got another rent-a-quote psychologist instead*. :biggrin:

Needless bitchiness aside :wacko: I'm amazed by how far certain experts are prepared to stray from their actual sphere of expertise. Specifically they start spouting common-sense platitudes which sound like the ought to be true (but aren't necessarily).

It wasn't Petra Boynton was it? I shared an office with her when I worked at Aston. She very good!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Other than a 'works' excel expert and the family 'computer expert' or 'bike expert' that's it........

The 'bike expert' doesn't go down too well on a Christmas Eve after a bottle of Champers, and the "relly's" phone up saying they can't put a bike together..... you still put it together though with an oily glass of champers in one hand and a spanner in the other.....

Abitrary

I have a very strange and unexpected ability to *sound* like an expert about most things, but the minute people start listening to me a bit too much, I get unnerved and have to walk away and just leave them to it

Tetedelacourse

barq said:

Robert Winston immediately springs to mind.:angry:

I think I'm supposed to be an expert in my current job but I haven't been found out yet thankfully. It's one of my biggest worries in life.

On the other hand, I do get to listen to "experts" in my field and I reckon most of them are winging it.

gbb

Legendary Member
User76 said:
I have a mate in a similar situation, he services the machines which seal a certain type of tin can used in tuna canning and beer canning. He is one of only a handful who can do this thing to that machine! Strange, you would have thought that more people would learn to do it.

Similar thing here...there are maybe 6 fruit packing factories in the uk, very specific machinery to that industry, so a very limited number of engineers. Take into account some of those guys knowledge is limited (the UK agents words, not mine)...skills are sought after.

Dave5N

Über Member
Kirstie said:
Oi don't be so cheeky!
I did my PhD at aston from 1993 - 1996, and then I was there as a postdoc until mid 98, in the business school.

We overlapped then. I was there from March 93 until Sept. 97.

In fact, I did know a Kirstie - bet she was you - is you.

I've been referred to as a 'guru'. The downside was that the person that I was referred to couldn't form 'r' properly - a fact that the person referring me knew only too well. So this chap would call me up and address me as 'the planning guwu' - and I would be struggling to control myself from then on in.

freakhatz

Flying_Monkey said:
I am apparently 'one of the world's leading experts on the social consequences of surveillance'...

Hmmm.. I see..:smile:

As for me, I have no expertise at all except meddling in things I know nothing about. This is good because the older I get the less I seem to know and thus my field of expertise grows.

Top Bottom